Northeastern Needs Change?

Emily Werchadlo journalism major @ Northeastern middler Editorial Page Editor of The Northeastern News

After reading the staff editorial, “Northeastern needs change,” in the April 8 edition of the Free Press, I found it hard to ignore the writer’s misunderstanding of Northeastern hidden behind the genuine concern of the piece. This has been a dark year in Northeastern’s history, no one is doubting that. Six students have died this year in ways ranging from car accidents to suicides to even an “unexplained death.” Our campus is one torn with strife, anger and disappointment; factors that in part led to the chaos following the Super Bowl. As far as the post-Super Bowl rioting is concerned, I feel the need to make two things clear. One, the student that died on campus was NOT a Northeastern student, but rather the brother of a Northeastern student. A drunk driver, also not a Northeastern student, allegedly killed him. Though the situation was escalated due to the craziness, it is difficult to say whether or not the driver would have plowed into a crowd down on Commonwealth, had there not been a crowd near Northeastern. Secondly, the police presence around Northeastern that night was sparse, to say the least. One could easily argue there were as many people in Kenmore square as there were by Hemmenway, however we had less than half the number of police on site. Boston Police Department, recognizing their failure, has since taken full responsibility for the rioting. This is not to say Northeastern students did not act irresponsibly-no one is denying that fact. However, blanket assumptions were made about Northeastern that night, and some of them were unfair. It as these same assumptions that led to the canceling of one of the most anticipated concerts we’ve ever had in Ludacris. (As a side note, our Student Activities Fee was raised to 100 dollars expressly for the purpose of bringing a high profile act. The administration has yet to tell us what they will do with that money.) This is a campus that is more than fed up. Between switching from quarters to semesters, tuition prices being jacked up every year (a senior has seen their tuition raise 30 percent in five years), the infamous NU Shuffle, and a lack of general community, events like what happened after the Super Bowl was just a culmination of years worth of frustration that many took too far. Before Northeastern gets involved with the community, as your Editorial suggested, they need to get more involved with their students. The divide between administration and students is ever growing. If NU wants their students to be more involved or respectful in the community, they should practice what they preach.