Sox and city clean up Fenway

Mayor Thomas Menino joined public works officials and Red Sox planning and development workers at Fenway Park Wednesday morning to show off neighborhood improvements and see the ballpark’s new facilities in time for Friday’s home opener against the Toronto Blue Jays.

“This is the most significant series of changes since the .406 Club was added in the 80s,” said Red Sox Vice President of Planning and Development Janet Marie Smith.

Red Sox workers began construction at the start of the off-season, installing seats on the right field roof to increase the overall seating capacity on the roof to 345. Workers also renovated the third-base side concourse with more fixtures, wider gates and a new paint job.

“It was a very different ballpark a few years ago,” Menino said.

Despite the changes, Smith said the Red Sox constructed the new facilities while keeping with classic Fenway tradition.

“We reused a lot of the old brick and tried to be environmentally conscious as well as sentimentally appropriate,” Smith said.

Fenway also boasts more restroom facilities, ticket stands and food services. Gate B, at the Van Ness Street entrance, will be more accessible to the public with wider corridors and new elevators. A statue of Red Sox legend Ted Williams will grace Gate B’s entrance in a few weeks.

Basic City Services Director Mike Galvin said Fenway Park and its surrounding area must stay clean like other neighborhoods.

“Fenway is not just a stadium, but a community,” Galvin said.

Throughout the season, the workers will paint over graffiti on buildings surrounding Fenway. They have also started to install new windows at the Boston Arts Academy on Ipswich Street.

“We want to hit all the focal points visible within and outside the stadium,” Galvin said. “Once the project gets underway, people will be surprised.”

The mayor’s office joined the Red Sox in funding the City Service Team cleanup, but all construction within the stadium was paid for by the Red Sox.

“With the warm weather coming, I have great optimism,” said Red Sox President and Chief Operating Officer Larry Lucchino, who toured the stadium with Galvin and Menino.

Menino, enjoying a plate of Boston baked beans, coleslaw and chicken at one of the new right field roof tables, said the ballpark’s changes cannot take its luster away.

“Our fans care a lot,” Menino said. “We haven’t changed the capacity, just the quality.”