Warren Towers: campus’ most centralized dorm

Seventh in a series of stories detailing housing options available to Boston University students for the 2004-05 academic year.

War·ren – (wore – in)

n. 1. A colony of rabbits. 2. a. A place where one can easily become lost. b. An overcrowded living area. 3. Home to about 1,800 Boston University students.

Citing its central location and friendly atmosphere, many Warren Towers residents said they have a positive opinion of the three-tower, 18-story dormitory that is largely filled by underclassmen – despite complaints about its, and the university’s, Guest Policy.

“This setting is ideal for students who want community,” Warren Towers Area Director Karen Belanger said. “People have their doors open and are interested in meeting others.”

While the large population is great for social interaction, College of Engineering freshman Traci Webber said Warren does have its downfalls.

“There are tons of people here – too many,” Webber said. “I don’t like it when it gets too backed up.”

But Belanger stressed that the supposed overpopulation in Warren is largely a misconception.

“Some students call Warren ‘The Zoo,’ and I think that is inaccurate,” she said. “People tend to base their opinion on the fourth floor [lobby], but that’s not fair. It’s like the mall during holidays, but upstairs it’s not crowded, there are no lines and it’s more relaxed.”

As for its stigma as a largely freshman dorm, Belanger said Warren should not be considered a residence only for first-year students.

“Sophomores and juniors can appreciate the friendly and social environment,” she said. “I know there will be sophomores and juniors living here next year, and I hope they will be looking forward to it.”

With its centralized 700 Commonwealth Ave. address and abundance of internal amenities, Warren is considered by many students to be one of the most convenient housing options on campus.

“Nearly everything is here,” Belanger said. “We have a dining hall, mail room, fitness room, laundry room and computer lab.”

Students also praise Warren’s close proximity to classes, as it is located directly across the street from the College of Arts and Sciences and next to the College of Communication, an aspect that many said they appreciated during the winter.

“It’s very convenient that the dining hall is in the building so you don’t have to go out in the cold,” said CAS sophomore Mehul Shah.

Most students said the food in the dining hall is acceptable, but complained that the options are repetitive.

“The problem is that you get tired of the food because it’s the same for four months,” said ENG freshman Maria Mainzhausen. “By the end, you’re just eating sandwiches every day.”

Students said they generally liked their rooms, which are divided into singles, doubles and quads.

“It’s my first year, so these rooms are all I know,” Webber said. “Maybe if I’d had something better I’d be dissatisfied, but I like my room.”

But student opinion differed on the building’s bathrooms, and Shah said “the bathrooms could be cleaner.”

The most common complaint about life in Warren, and in most on-campus residences, is the Guest Policy.

“For people in apartments it’s easier to get around the Guest Policy,” Webber said. “[In Warren] it’s hard to get in guests.”