RA removed after encouraging dining hall theft

A West Campus resident assistant resigned from his position amid administration pressure after writing a letter published on The Daily Free Press’s Editorial Page concerning Boston University’s policy on taking food from the dining hall.

School of Education senior Jason Gutlaizer was “given the option to either resign or be fired, and he chose to resign,” said one BU student close to the situation who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Gutlaizer’s March 3 letter expressed anger with Dining Services’ policy of not allowing people to leave campus dining halls with food and encouraged “each and every Boston University student who eats in a campus dining hall to take whatever they want when leaving.”

In response, Office of Residence Life Director David Zamojski wrote a letter denouncing Gutlaizer’s idea.

“[Gutlaizer’s] statement runs counter to Office of Residence Life’s goals, and should not be interpreted as a reflection of the department’s position on Dining Services guidelines, in general, or on the limit on food items that may be taken from residence dining rooms, in particular,” Zamojski wrote on March 22.

Zamojski confirmed this week that Gutlaizer is no longer employed as an RA, adding however that “it’s just not appropriate to comment on employment issues.”

But he did say that any time an RA wants to speak to the media, he or she can only do so in his or her capacity as a student unless given express permission by the ORL.

“RAs are students, and as students they are welcome to comment to the media on their point of view,” Zamojski said. “They’re welcome to speak to the media as RAs after consulting with me.”

Zamojski said that if an RA has a problem related to work, there are procedures to follow and people to speak to, though he was not referring specifically to Gutlaizer’s case.

“RAs have what I would call a ‘chain of command’ to follow when they have concerns related to their work,” he said.

Zamojski referenced a clause in RAs’ contracts which prohibits them from speaking out as spokespeople for the university without getting express permission.

“I understand that I may not use my position as a resident assistant to serve as a spokesperson for or representative of the Office of Residence Life or its staff to the media, unless authorized to do so by the director of residence life, or his or her designee,” the contract, which all RAs are required to sign before employment, reads.

Gutlaizer, who was an RA on the third floor of Sleeper Hall, was given the option to move into the Student Village, where he is currently living, according to the student close to the situation. Gutlaizer refused to comment on the situation.

His residents, who were told that Gutlaizer left for “personal reasons,” were shocked and disappointed by the news.

“The senior RA for our building came and spoke to everybody. He said that Jason had to leave, and that if we had any questions we could contact him,” said College of General Studies sophomore Kira Klapper. “No one believed it. He was so invested in his residents. He really genuinely cared about us.”

College of Communication freshman Meg Bryan, who was also one of Gutlaizer’s residents, agreed.

“He was always there if we needed him, and he held floor events and meetings once a month,” she said. “I had no problems with Jason.”

The student close to the situation said Gutlaizer wanted to continue being an RA.

“He is thinking about staying at BU for graduate school, and he wanted to be an RA,” according to the student who requested anonymity. “He genuinely liked helping people. He was close to his residents.”

Klapper said Gutlaizer has returned to her floor to visit many times since he moved out.

“I’ve seen him around more,” she said. “He’s been back to visit and check up on all of us. Everyone loved him on our floor. We miss him so much. I think we’re planning on organizing a group dinner to visit him now that he’s gone.”