EDIT: Let Audubon build a patio

The restaurant business is often considered one of the more difficult industries in which to survive. Many restaurant owners attempt to increase profits by providing unique atmospheres or offering additional perks to attract patrons. But while local restaurant owner Chris Lutes simply wants to increase his business over the summer and provide Audubon Circle-area residents and patrons with a place to dine and smoke at the same time by building a patio onto the back of his restaurant, some Boston University students want no part of it, claiming the addition is unwanted as it will bring noise and smoke.

If Lutes wants to add a patio to increase business at Audubon Circle Restaurant and Bar on Beacon Street, he should be allowed to do so. BU cannot tell every tenant in South Campus what it can and cannot do – especially when the building that houses the restaurant is one of few on South Campus that is not owned by BU. It is extremely unfair to demand that everything in that area adhere to the best interests of the students – especially when the majority of the time, the students will not even be affected by the outdoor patio. The patio would only operate from April to October, when the majority of students are home for the summer.

BU students are not immune to smokers as many fumes from dorm stoops easily reach bedroom windows. And complaining that a patio addition to the restaurant would increase noise is completely daft. Most of the residences are located directly next to the Massachusetts Turnpike and the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority’s Commuter Rail tracks – they’re certainly not noise-free.

Not to mention BU students’ parties – area residents surely will not buy that students are simply in it for quiet. Student complaints about the restaurant’s addition are ridiculous for just that reason. The restaurant’s addition will likely not increase noise significantly and it will provide an option for a number of students to dine out and smoke at the same time – something many students want.

If students disagree with Lutes, they must decide not to go visit the restaurant – not attempt to ban him from making additional profit. Lutes should be allowed to build the patio and there should be nothing BU can do to stop him.