BU pledges aid for 2004 DNC

Boston University is pledging housing for visitors of the 2004 Democratic National Convention, which could be held in Boston because of the efforts of high-profile Democrats and financial commitments from local businesses.

BU spokesperson Kevin Carleton said the university informed the city a number of months ago about the possibility of housing 1,100 to 1,600 convention visitors. Carleton said those numbers are contingent on the scheduling of the conference and whether or not the university is in session.

Based on past Democratic conventions, the 2004 event would most likely be held during the summer months, either in July or August.

While locations and numbers could increase or decrease based on the need of the convention, Carleton said locations to house convention attendees would include the Student Residences at 10 Buick Street, 1019 Commonwealth Ave., Warren Towers and West Campus.

“Those were the spaces identified to the city,” Carleton said.

Boston emerged as a top contender for the event after Mayor Thomas Menino and Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.) pushed for the bid. Local businesses also pledged $20 million for the cause.

BU would benefit financially from the convention, according to BU spokesman Colin Riley.

“Everyone benefits when tourism and the economy is going strong in the city,” Riley said.

Carleton agreed, saying it was a way to increase revenue and use the otherwise vacant dormitories.

“This is a way to utilize facilities that would sit idle over summer to generate income to upkeep facilities,” Carleton said. “[BU] does not expect a loss. At a minimum we would break even and there may even be some positive cash flow.”

However, money is not the prime reason BU wants to house visitors.

“[BU’s] participation can be seen as a community service,” Carleton said.

A large convention such as the DNC would be an economic benefit to the entire city and BU believes that through supporting the DNC they are supporting the city, he said.

The BU College Democrats reacted favorably to the news of the convention possibly coming to Boston.

“We would definitely be honored,” said Shawn White, the president of the BU College Democrats. “Boston has a high Democratic constituency.”

Boston could be a good fit for the DNC, due to the fact that Democrat John Kerry, who The Boston Globe recently reported is contemplating running in the 2004 presidential race, is a current senator for the commonwealth.

“I do hope he would run,” White said. “[The] BU Democrats work hand in hand with the Massachusetts Democratic Party.”

White said hosting the DNC did not mean they were automatically supporting Kerry for president. He said other states vying for the convention also have possible Democratic contenders and the Democratic National Committee has been looking at Boston for years. Other cities competing for the convention include New York City, Miami and Detroit.

With such a large college population in Boston, students would no doubt take part in the convention, according to White. He said he was sure students would step up and help make the convention a success, stating he would definitely go regardless of whether it was held in Boston or not.

“No matter where the convention is held, I’m sure college Democrats will be involved,” White said.