More online courses added

Most Boston University students do their learning in the classroom with a professor; however, thanks to a school-wide effort to broaden the student base, students can now do the same at home with the click of a mouse.

This fall, BU expanded its number of online classes. The increase was an expansion on a pilot program launched in the fall of 2001, which contained courses offered through a limited number of its colleges and schools, according to Susan Kryczka, the director of the Office of Distance Education.

BU has expanded its online courses as a reaction to a “market need,” Kryczka said. “A demand for classes such as the ones in criminology and physical therapy is why the university created those classes,” she said.

Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Services, the School of Education, Metropolitan College and the BU Medical School currently offer online courses. The College of Engineering is currently developing online classes for future semesters, Kryczka said.

However, while undergraduates can take advantage of courses like Health Promotion and Wellness in SAR and Crime and Punishment in MET, only graduate level degrees can currently be attained online, according to Kryczka.

Online courses have many similarities to regular classes and have assigned textbooks and regular assignments, Kryczka said. Discussions, papers, projects and tests are conducted online.

Credit received for the courses is equivalent to those obtained in the classrooms at BU, and students pay full tuition plus a technology fee of $50 per credit hour to enroll, Kryczka said.

Kryczka said many students enjoy the convenience of online courses. She said 112 students – less than one percent of the student body – are enrolled in the classes, but the number is increasing.

Kryczka said online classes have been dominated by working professionals who seek flexibility in class schedules when earning a degree. The average student studying online is more than 30 years old. Now, however, others have been attracted to the program because of the flexibility, she said.

During this past summer’s program, out of the 50 students enrolled in online classes, 48 of them were studying from places other than Massachusetts.

She said the number of students enrolled in online courses is increasing because of BU’s increased offerings and also because “BU is recognized as a place where you can get a high-quality education, and students expect that online as well.”

Kryczka also said instructors have talked to her about how online courses are often more difficult to teach than conventional courses. With students online 24 hours a day, they often expect quick responses to questions. This leaves the professors with the difficult task of constantly staying online to keep in touch with students.

And even though online courses can require extra work on the professor’s part, Kryczka said most instructors enjoy teaching them.

Dan Leclaire, who taught an online course in criminology, said he enjoyed teaching the course for the most part.

“Development of the course was very difficult and I don’t know if I would say I enjoy that phase,” he said. However, once development is completed, Leclaire said teaching online is a “positive, enjoyable experience.”

He stressed the high quality of student learning in online classes. “I was very impressed by the amount of student learning,” he said.

Leclaire said most of his students were in situations that would not allow them to attend a traditional college class. “They come online when they are refreshed and can do the work,” he said.

Jennifer Eager, a School of Education freshman, said she was unsure about how effective an online class could be, but was not completely opposed to the idea.

“They offer a lot of convenience, but I don’t know how I would like not having a classroom to go to,” she said. “It would definitely be a new experience but something I hope to try soon.”