Silber’s salary more than area presidents’

Boston University Chancellor John Silber makes significantly more money than other university presidents in the Boston area, according to papers recently filed with the Internal Revenue Service.

Silber’s salary for the fiscal year beginning July 2000 and ending June 2001 was $475,000 with $224,424 in benefits according, to the Chronicle of Higher Education, which compiles data from papers filed each year with the IRS by non-profit universities.

Silber’s pay the previous year was $650,000, though this figure included a $250,000 loan that BU forgave, according to the Chronicle.

Then-President of Harvard University Neil Rudenstine’s salary was $387,591 with $33,490 in benefits, though he is no longer with the university. Tufts President John DiBaggio’s salary was $328,169 with $46,567 in benefits. DiBaggio is also no longer with the university. Northeastern University President Richard Freeland’s salary was $340,492 with $25,596 in benefits.

However, Boston College president Rev. William Leahy’s entire compensation is paid to the Society of Jesus religious order.

Though during the time period under review John Silber was Boston University’s chancellor, he has since stepped in to take over the role of president that Jon Westling vacated. Westling’s presidential salary was $484,895 with $106,122 in benefits, making it less than Chancellor Silber’s.

Boston University spokesman Kevin Carleton said the benefits include a number of components and emphasized “it does not mean [Silber] receives $700,000.”

For example, Carleton said Silber is required to live on campus and thus the estimated value of housing is factored into the benefits. Carleton said the university is “very prudent and fair” in estimating the cost of housing and gives the “full market value.”

Carleton also said other things have to be factored into a person’s salary as well, with the foremost being the length of time the person has spent at the institution. Silber has been with Boston University much longer than other presidents in the Boston area, Carleton said.

Carleton said institutions often have other ways of paying their presidents off the books as well.

“In looking at compensation, what you see is the amount of money paid by the institutions,” Carleton said.

Many university presidents also spend time on corporate boards and receive money that way as well.

“In some cases you will find people spending 30, 40, 50 days away from their campus,” Carleton said.

The pay increases for university presidents have outpaced increases for professors, according to Chronicle reports. For example, the president’s pay at the University of Pennsylvania has increased by more than 50 percent while professors there have seen a 20 percent increase. Other institutions have seen similar increases, the Chronicle said.

The numbers reported were all from more than a year ago, and the current salary for all university presidents, including Silber, will not be known for quite some time.

When asked whether Silber’s pay has increased since assuming the role of president, Carleton responded he would not know until the university files its papers again next year.