EDIT: SJC ruling changed history

When the history books are rewritten to include the advancement of gay rights and the beginning of legalized gay marriage, Massachusetts will have its own chapter. The state and its Supreme Judicial Court have played an integral role in bringing the controversial issue of gay marriage out of the closet and into the public’s eye.

Before the SJC’s Nov. 18 ruling, the suggestion of providing gay couples with the option of civil unions was unthinkable. But the past six months have proved that a court decision can propel a topic’s discussion into the limelight, and this specific decision has pushed the issue further than anyone expected – especially in such a short amount of time. Civil unions are now considered a compromise where they were thought of as groundbreaking when Vermont legalized them just a few years ago.

While the SJC provided gay couples with rights that have been withheld from them for years and promised those rights would be recognized beginning on May 17, the effects of the ruling were seen nationwide, as unofficial weddings began to take place across the country. The controversial decision even led to a proposed amendment to the world’s oldest constitution recommending that gay couples be stripped of the right to marry but offered civil unions – an amendment that would go against every other amendment by taking away rights instead of guaranteeing them.

But while the proposed amendment did pass and will now face the next Legislature (the amendment’s fate could ultimately rest in the voters’ hands if that session passes it), both sides must be commended for handling such a controversial issue in such a calm manner.

During the constitutional convention, legislators on both sides of the issue did a remarkable job of presenting their arguments in a tranquil manner. Considering the contentious nature of the subject, the way in which the opposing sides handled themselves demonstrated a tremendous level of maturity – one that other influential leaders are unfortunately missing.

Gov. Mitt Romney himself is setting a horrible example as the state’s top public official by attempting to skirt the ruling of the state’s highest court. Romney must stop trying to prevent the unavoidable and set an example of respect and tolerance for the rights of gay couples. While Romney has every right to disagree with the court’s decision on a personal level, he has no moral or official right to try and stop the court’s ruling and delay the May 17 weddings.

Others have acted commendably despite their personal beliefs. Attorney General Tom Reilly – an outspoken opponent of gay marriage – deserves praise for appreciating the severity of the situation and blocking Romney from postponing the weddings. Reilly and the SJC have set emotions and personal beliefs aside in order to uphold the law and ensure gay couples’ rights are protected.

Romney should follow Reilly’s example and focus his energy where it is needed – on preparing for May 17. The SJC specifically set aside six months for the state to organize and plan for what is understandably expected to be a rush of couples who want to enter into matrimony. Instead of utilizing that time in an effective manner, the state – and Romney specifically – has squandered it in an attempt to block the court’s ruling.

The SJC made the correct ruling on Nov. 18 by acknowledging gay couples’ rights to be happy and to live the same life as every other couple in Massachusetts. The use of civil unions has already cast gay couples aside and created a sense in many that those couples do not deserve the same rights as heterosexual couples. Instead of attempting to demean gay couples even further by stripping them of the rights that they have finally received – and deserved the entire time – Romney and other opponents must now step aside and accept the fact that wedding bells will be ringing for gay couples on May 17.

While the issue of gay marriage is extremely controversial and will likely remain a heated topic in years to come, the massive amount of progress that has resulted from the SJC’s ruling will not go unnoticed. Nothing can be done between now and May 17, and opponents of gay marriage must learn to be tolerant and supportive of gay couples. It is inappropriate for opponents of gay marriage to demand that the May 17 date be postponed in an effort to delay their happiness.

When the first gay couples announce their vows to the world on May 17, the days and months that will follow will demonstrate to opponents that the SJC’s ruling will not directly affect their lives or degrade the meaning of marriage. While not all opponents will change their stances due to religious beliefs, the majority of gay marriage rivals should realize that legalizing gay marriage is a step forward for the world and a step that Massachusetts made possible. The SJC’s ruling and the aftermath has guaranteed Massachusetts a permanent and positive place in the history books.