ROTC pass-in-review

I don’t know if you had a reporter cover Saturday’s ceremony, but here is my article. Please run it(with all necessary revisions, of course).

Sincerely, Laura Hanson CAS ’04 401-497-4178

21st Annual Tri-Service Pass in Review held on Nickerson Field By: Laura Hanson

Students living in West campus who were awoken earlier than usual Saturday morning may have wondered what all the commotion were about on Nickerson Field. Students with windows facing the field in Rich, Sleeper and Claflin had the perfect viewing location for the 21st annual Presidential Pass in Review of Boston University’s Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC).

The ceremony began with the regality of a four-plane flyover. The A-10 “Warthogs” from Barnes Air Force Base in Westfield, Massachusetts appeared in the sunny sky and soared over the heads of onlookers at about 10 a.m. to signify the commencement of the morning’s activities.

Army Cadet Nicele Erjavec, who narrated the morning’s events, explained that this ceremony evolved from historical tradition. A pass-in-review, similar to the one that took place on Saturday, traditionally allows a commander a last chance to inspect his or her troops and offer praise before the coming battle.

Cadet Erjavec informed those in attendance that Boston University’s ROTC program has a long history. Throughout the course of the program BU has commissioned over 6,800 active, reserve, and National Guard soldiers. BU is also one of the few schools to offer programs for all three services: Army, Navy-Marine Corps, and Air Force.

The troops, commanded by Army cadet Davis Whitt, were presented in formation fir the guest of honor to inspect. Greeted with the honor of a 15-gun salute Lt. General John R. Vines was escorted along with Lt. Colonel Morton Orlov II, Professor Igor Lukes the acting Director of BU’s Division of Military Education, and Dean John Schulz to inspect the troops. The Navy Band Northeast from Newport, Rhode Island accompanied the troops with traditional marches and the National Anthem.

Lt. Gen Vines, himself commission as an officer through the ROTC program, has led a distinguished career as a paratrooper, ranger and special operations officer. He has served with the notable Ranger Regiment at Ft. Benning; as Battalion Commander of the 82nd Airborne; as well as with the 101st Airborne; as the commander General of the Combined Joint Task Force in Afghanistan and is currently the commander of the 18th Airborne Corps.

Lt. Gen. Vines offered his remarks to the uniformed troops. Quoting the believed Chinese curse, he addressed the troops, “May you live in interesting time.” “The threat that faces the United States today is different,” he said as he compared today’s interesting times to the events the U.S. faced during WWII. “This fight is not optional. America is and has been under attack. [In the] struggle for our national survival it will take a generation of young Americans to fight [this evil].” He praised the troops calling them the “new Greatest Generation.” He admitted that “leadership is hardship,” but as he encouraged the leaders, which stood before him to face their future he said, “You didn’t plan for it. You didn’t ask for it. The moment found you.”

The General’s words probably had a greater significance for the Senior Cadets who will be commissioned upon graduation in May and will soon be facing the reality of today’s “interesting times.”

At the close of the ceremony the troops were marched off the field with honor and dignity accompanied by the Navy Band playing the respective songs of each service. As they passed the viewing stands Battalion Commander Cadet Jordan Vanek, Alpha Company Commander Cadet Nishant Lal, and Bravo Company Commander Cadet J. Seraph Townsend led the Army. Battalion Commander Midshipman Christopher Mason, Alpha Company Commander Midshipman Brent Bernkrant, and Bravo Company Commander Midshipman Chuning Lo led the Navy-Marine Corps. Wing Commander Cadet Timothy Spink, Alpha Commander Cadet Jennifer Hennessey, and Bravo Commander Cadet Christine Kiernan led the Air Force.

ROTC members, honored guests, families and friends were invited to attend a reception at 10 Buick Street that followed the ceremony.