Last minute words from a concerned student

By writing, I make no presumptions that the multitude of students at Boston University is concerned with my 11th-hour thoughts before exiting the Student Union. Simply, I look to give credit where it is due and clarify some issues which remain opaque. I also hope to end my tenure in the Union with some friendly suggestions for the university at large.

To begin with, those of you who have followed Union news are aware that this has not been the most blissful year in the Union’s history. Because the Union has such a volatile history, people have argued that the Union is an ineffective student group. Oftentimes, disgruntled misanthropes and sometimes sensible students have gone as far as questioning the Union’s existence. Together, these students, troubled by the Union’s accomplishments, have made at least one solid point: that the Union is not the immediate end all solution to every student problem on campus.

The Union is a group of dedicated and caring individuals who are as much prone to mistakes as any other student group on campus. Sometimes, these mistakes are so excessively publicized that the Union’s greatest accomplishments fail to shine through. But as history has shown, this has not impeded the Union from getting a great deal of work accomplished. To date, the Student Union has been one of the most effective lobbying groups on campus. Therefore, while it is not the end all solution to every problem, it does a solid job of addressing many student concerns. This year alone the Union has a number of noteworthy successes, such as creating a variety of multicultural events, bringing environmental initiatives to campus and making inroads into numerous quality of life issues.

While this rhetoric sounds like my usual and biased Union-loving orations, I believe them to be wholly true. Then one might question, as many others have, why this is my last year in Union after serving in it the entirety of my undergraduate career. I believe it is important to go on the record when retiring from Union so that students do not mistake my retirement for a lack of faith in the system or anything else. During my tenure, although I have made a number of mistakes, I have made many contributions to the student body, I have learned from my mistakes, and I have gained valuable experiences. I have also had many fond memories and have made many good friends – two irreplaceable rewards. Merely, I have elected to spend my senior year at BU in a way that allows greater flexibility in my schedule. I believe that there are other individuals who will have more energy and time to dedicate than I would, and I will be content watching their numerous victories from afar.

Thus, in parting, I want to thank everyone who has ever listened to my ideas or has ever given me a chance. You have made my time at Boston University a rewarding experience. Alas, I leave the public spotlight with three recommendations:

1. Keep Fighting the Guest Policy: Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore’s “Coffee and Conversation” event with students last week had a refreshing theme to it. During his meeting, he announced that neither he nor President ad interim Aram Chobanian have any philosophical problems with bringing cable to campus. This is a sign of a changing administration. If administrators don’t object to cable on a philosophical level, students must continue to fight the outdated Guest Policy and compel the new administration to reconsider the current Guest Policy. The arguments for a more liberal Guest Policy strongly outweigh those for the current Guest Policy. This is not simply a matter of “sexual liberty,” as old administrations have called it, but a matter of treating students like young adults with real responsibilities.

2. Strengthen BU’s Image: Few students and faculty deny that that BU should be ranked by U.S. News and World Report and other publications as a first tier school. For all the time and money we invest in this school, students deserve to leave this university with a diploma that ranks with the best and most difficult academic institutions globally. While some might call this recommendation superficial, BU’s rankings have been a large student concern on campus for many years. The new Union must reopen dialogue with the administration regarding our rankings and see what measures can be taken to improve our standing nationally. Additionally, administrators should continue the search for a new president, one who can also raise the image of BU. My personal suggestion is Al Gore, who would be a great fundraiser and leader for the university.

3. Give administrators a fair chance: There is much talk about discontent among students and alumni regarding the administration. Now that the much respected President emeritus John Silber no longer runs the campus, administrators will be open to new ideas and administrative techniques. Students should realize that Chobanian, Elmore and longtime administrator Provost Dennis Berkey are three important individuals in this university who are concerned with student happiness. If students want to see change on campus, they should not only have faith and open dialogue with the Union, but these three administrators as well. These men are of a different breed than past administrators.

Joel Fajardo, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences is the Student Union Senate Chairman.