Letter, endorsement vicious

I do not agree with all of Jonah Goldberg’s letter (“Student Union elections a sham,” April 26, pg. 6). The elections themselves, though not really publicized, were carried out in an efficient and fair manner. The quality of the candidates does not warrant such a statement. It seems that Jonah wrote the letter to defend his friends … who lost. I lost the election and I don’t see letters from my friends here calling the race unfair. I don’t think there should be. Losing was my own fault and I don’t expect them to blame anyone else.

I do agree with Jonah in one respect. The Daily Free Press was unfair in its endorsement (“Provost best for Union pres.,” April 20, pg. 10). While the idea of endorsing one candidate can be debated, the worst is that the Free Press decided it would be a good idea to tear apart any candidate they did not endorse. That is not fair. We can safely assume that some students voted directly off what the Free Press wrote, and they did not do the other candidates justice. I do find it amazing that they found such nice things to say about Deon Provost when they know that in a few short months, in true Free Press fashion, they will be ripping him apart.

Anthony Garofalo SHA ’05 President School of Hospitality and

Administration Student Government