15% Policy Fair

I am writing in response to the staff editorial “Small step, fairer housing.” I am now going on my fourth year living in the Hospitality House, located on Bay State Rd. If it were not for the policy on freshman housing I would never have ended up here. As a Student Admissions Representative I feel that the “15% rule” is a huge positive point to prospective students who do not wish to live in a “zoo-like” environment. I know I didn’t. It is important to note that all Admissions Representatives (President’s Hosts or otherwise) are sure to warn Freshman about the different experience it can be to live in such a place their Freshman year and may even discourage them from applying there. It has been my experience that many underclassmen greatly benefit from living in a brownstone and learn how to be more actively social without the help, as you suggest, of a 20 person bathroom. Let us not forget also, for those unhappy Frosh and Sophs, that ORL provides assistance with room swaps during the year. Leave this policy alone. BU has one of the best housing systems of any university. Let’s keep it that way. Anthony Garofalo SHA 2005 516.220.7147