Jon’s Daily dose of Tsai

Why take time out of a lovely summer in New York to spend time on Boston University’s campus? Because you’re Jon Stewart, and because Boston University graciously opened the Tsai Perfoming Center doors to both Comedy Central’s Daily Show and its loyal BU fans.

Students hoping to get a glimpse of the show, which was taped at BU during the Democratic National Convention in July, stood in line for five hours under a hot sun, but finally made it in. One even luckier BU student can say, “Jon Stewart slept in my bed,” as many of the crew were housed in the Student Residences at 10 Buick St.

Only four guys were ahead of this eager Daily Show fan in line – all of whom were playing cards – and by 5:30 p.m., the group of us had played more games of poker in that day than ever before. At 6:30 p.m., we were slowly, but surely, admitted into the theater.

Before the show, a comic bounded on stage, screaming and hollering, in hopes of energizing the crowd. However, the man seemed more like a stale act from a high school assembly. After he was somewhat satisfied, our man of the half-hour came out … Mr. Jon Stewart.

Stewart was in fine form: witty, quick to the punch, friendly and obviously entertaining to watch live. Once the filming started, however, Stewart became a flawless comedian, never needing more than one take to deliver his quips, which mainly mocked the DNC.

As always, his uninhibited reporters scampered around, making fun of serious-natured people. For this show, his reporters ran around the convention asking delegates if they were Republicans, then after denials, cited failure to distinguish party-allegiances by the presence of a bowtie.

One segment, Daily Show Correspondent Samantha Bee’s interview with former U.S. Secretary of State Madeline Albright, responded, in a valley-girl tone with, “That’s so bi-partisan.”

In keeping with the traditional political barbs, Stewart also mocked the events figurehead: Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry.

Stewart displayed a hilarious montage of the differences between Kerry and Bush, presented with wonderful comedic timing, uproarious pictures and comparisons between the two candidates. The show’s slogan? “Kerry: Because he isn’t George W. Bush.”

Though the filming lasted 30 minutes, this wildly entertaining, upbeat and hilarious show was well worth those five hours of waiting in line – and poker learning experience.