City council looks at reining in off-campus students

A new Boston city council proposal may force Boston-area universities to give Boston Police the contact information for all students living in off-campus housing so law enforcement can more effectively respond to parties and other types of disturbances.

The new proposal, spearheaded by city councilors Jerry McDermott (Allston-Brighton) and Michael Ross (Fenway, Kenmore), would also give an off-campus student’s name, address and telephone number to campus police departments and the Inspectional Services Department.

“This is a call for a hearing to explore the opportunity for this to happen,” McDermott said. “If someone were to call us and say they are having a problem on a certain street, it would be easier to find who is there and if the university should step in.”

Councilors called on area colleges to come down harder on students after the Super Bowl when students took to the streets to celebrate. Rioters caused thousands of dollars in property damage and the relative of a Northeastern University student was killed after being hit by a drunk driver.

“Universities need to step up to notify students, especially new students, to what behavior is acceptable and what is not acceptable,” McDermott said. “Students must abide by certain rules and regulations and need to understand there are consequences for their actions.”

Boston University Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore said the university will review the legislation if it is passed, but added that he has not yet read any official documents relating to the proposed ordinance.

“If the legislation will improve relations between university and city it is important, but we also must be mindful of the privacy and well-being of our students,” Elmore said. “Certainly if it’s the law, we will follow it, but we will raise objections if we feel it is not in the best interest of our students.”

Students living off campus may face a unique situation and with legislation yet to be written, it is hard to predict what the new laws will mean.

“It seems like a logical way to share information to expedite the process of knowing who’s causing trouble, but I don’t think it’s fair to the majority of students who would never need police involvement,” said College of Communication junior Josh Carroll. “It’s just like people that commute from wherever, say Framingham. The Framingham Police doesn’t need to or want to know our Boston University information.”

According to Boston University’s Office of Housing website, 24 percent of undergraduate students currently live off campus.

“If we lived on campus, the university should take responsibility,” said COM junior and Brookline resident Natalie Minor. “When you move off campus, you give up the security BU provides in exchange for freedom from them.”

Current laws allow police to arrest students throwing off-campus parties for serving alcohol to minors and charging at the door without a liquor license.

“It shouldn’t matter whether it’s BU kids or Northeastern kids or high school kids who are partying.” Minor said. “If they’re breaking the law, the cops will deal with it.”