Another accident at BU Bridge causes T delays

A three-car collision at the corner of Essex Street and Commonwealth Avenue – the second accident there in less than a week – snarled traffic along Comm. Ave. Tuesday afternoon and drew a large response from rescue workers, although no one was hurt.

The accident, which occurred during rush-hour traffic, involved three cars that collided on the T tracks on the bridge.

The accident occurred when a Blue Dodge Caravan in the outside lane heading west on Commonwealth Avenue tried to turn in the middle of the bridge cutting off the two inside lanes, according to Eric, a witness who refused to give his last name. Then, he said, a black Nissan Maxima on the inside lane rear-ended the van causing it to hit a red Mazda that got caught between the light change on the T tracks.

The accident caused minimal damage to both the Mazda and the Dodge Caravan. The Nissan’s front bumper and grill were hanging from the front of the car.

The Boston Fire Department, MBTA Authorities and EMTs were on the scene.

There was a noticeable crack in the T tracks at the intersection, although MBTA officials said they were not caused by the accident.

– Caitlin O’Neil