Clash of the keepers

The Boston University women’s soccer team may finally meet an opponent with as successful a goalkeeping duo as its own when the Terriers square off against the University of Maine this Thursday.

While the much-chronicled goalkeeper rotation of Stephanie Dreyer and Christina Reuter has worked out well for BU, Maine’s goalie tandem may be even more daunting.

Consider the following: Going into Thursday’s America East clash, the goalies with the top four goals-against averages in the conference all come from these two teams.

Maine sophomore Jasmine Phillips leads the conference with a 0.00 GAA, albeit only in three games. Black Bear senior Tanya Adorno ranks fourth in America East, with a GAA of 1.00, allowing six goals in six games.

Between Phillips and Adorno rests the Terriers’ Reuter and Dreyer. Reuter has allowed just three goals in five contests for a 0.57 GAA, while Dreyer has surrendered six goals on the year for a 0.96 GAA (less than 1.00 due to overtimes).

Those numbers translate into an aggregate GAA of 0.65 for Maine’s keepers, which edges a 0.78 number for BU. The Terriers had a 0.87 GAA last year, but the BU record still rests with the 1995 goalies, who notched a 0.58 GAA.

While Terrier coach Nancy Feldman has adhered to a strict goalie rotation, switching keepers every game, Black Bears coach Scott Atherley has only recently begun to alternate goalies.

Adorno started the first three games for Maine, going 1-2 before Atherley inserted Phillips into the starting lineup for his team’s game against Central Connecticut State University.

Phillips recorded two saves for the shutout victory, and the Black Bears coach has stuck with a goalie rotation since, going 3-2 after the Central Connecticut State contest.

Adorno started the Black Bears’ last game, a 2-1 loss to the University of Rhode Island, so look for Phillips to start against the Terriers. Feldman confirmed on Sunday that she was going to continue the practice of alternating keepers and start Reuter on Thursday.

Pulling the Trigger

Thursday’s bout against Maine will also showcase two of the top three trigger-happy shooters in America East.

Black Bears’ senior forward Heather Hathorn leads the conference with an even 4.0 shots per game, launching 36 shots in nine contests.

Ranking in third place, meanwhile, is Terrier striker Meghann Cook. The senior tri-captain has also fired 36 shots, but in 11 games, good for 3.27 shots per game.

BU places four shooters in the top 10. Besides Cook, the Terriers are represented by Lauren Erwin (tied for No. 5), Brooke Bingham (No. 7) and Susan Marschall (No. 10).

tHE HEAT IS ON

With all her shots, it’s no surprise that Cook is on pace to once again lead the Terriers in scoring for the third time in four years.

Cook currently has three goals and four assists, totaling 10 points. And with eight games left before the America East Tournament, Cook is on pace to tally more than 17 points.

The senior forward led the team in points in both 2002 and 2004, with 11 and 28 points, respectively. The only year Cook hasn’t been the BU points leader was 2003, when she finished second with 17 points. That year Melissa Shulman’s 28 points led the Terriers.

Cook needs just one more assist this season to pass Stacey Schwartz’s (’98) career record of 22.

Notes

Maine has scored three or more goals in four games this season. How many times has BU done it? Zero … The Black Bears have only lost once this season in games when they’ve scored at least one goal … The Terriers have already tied a school record with three 1-0 victories this season … After Sunday’s win over Stony Brook University, BU has a .818 winning percentage (58-11-5) in conference play since 1997 … BU is undefeated in overtime this year (1-0-2).