Bikers navigate through crowds, cars despite dangers

With Boston University’s stretch of Commonwealth Avenue congested by pedestrians, T trolleys and cars, students say there is little room for bikes to navigate through down streets or sidewalks to get to and from class.

College of Arts and Sciences junior Paula Moniz said she believes bikers are a hazard to people walking on the sidewalk.

“I’ve seen so many this year and I think they should have to ride on the street,” she said. “They should man up, because when they don’t they are a nuisance to pedestrians.”

CAS senior Eric Siriprakorn said despite other modes of transportation available to get around the campus, his bike is the best alternative.

“I can travel around campus and to work much faster and more cheaply than taking a cab or the T,” he said. “It’s a lot better than walking.”

According to Massachusetts law, bicyclists may ride on any “public road, street or bikeway in the Commonwealth … [and] on sidewalks outside business districts, unless local laws prohibit sidewalk riding.”

Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences junior Nicole Cooper said she rides her bike from her off-campus apartment to school every day, but said she doesn’t know what her legal rights are as a bicyclist.

“I don’t know anything about bike laws,” she said. “I see most bikers riding on the street, but I think bikers should be able to ride on the sidewalk.”

Siriprakorn said he believes pedestrians are the cause of most bike injuries.

“I usually bike on the street because it is a lot safer than biking on the sidewalk with all the pedestrians around,” he said. “But I bike along the sidewalk to get around traffic lights and stopped cars. I think bikers should keep to the road unless absolutely necessary.”

BU Police Department spokesman Sergeant Jack St. Hilaire said despite the appearance of more bikes on campus, BUPD receives roughly the same number of reports regarding bike-related incidents each semester. “We normally get around 20 calls in a school year of bikes colliding with cars,” he said. “But they are all minor fender benders, not serious injuries.”

St. Hilaire said he was surprised there weren’t more bike-related accidents given the amount of bikers on the streets.

“I would warn all bicyclists to proceed with caution,” he said. “I see a lot of reckless operation that could result in injury.”

Many riders and non-riders said they are unclear about bicycle safety precautions.

Moniz said that helmets are an essential safety measure for bike riders but she doesn’t know what the law says about them.

“I don’t know if wearing helmets is a law in Mass.,” she said, “but I know it’s a good idea.”

Cooper said she will wear her helmet when she is riding for exercise, but not when she is going to class.

“I don’t wear my helmet when I ride to school because I don’t want to mess up my hair,” she said.

Although state law only requires helmet use by riders 16 years of age and younger, St. Hilaire said he advocates helmet use by bicyclists of all ages.

“It really behooves you to wear a helmet,” he said. “If you fall at that speed it can cause serious bodily injury.”