Deval Patrick’s health care proposal

The other day, Deval Patrick released his health care plan for Massachusetts. This health care plan aims at benefiting everybody in Massachusetts, regardless of whether you are able to afford private health care or not. While public health care has come under some negative scrutiny in the past few years, we should still welcome any new ideas that come to the table. Deval Patrick’s plan can be effective because it is not devising a way to completely overhaul the current system in Massachusetts, but instead proposes changes to the current system to make it more efficient for the taxpayers, as well as more effective for the recipients. Issues such as affordable prescription medicines, investing in preventive medicine, coverage for catastrophic circumstances, as well as reducing the overall paperwork are addressed in Patrick’s plan, and would make health care in Massachusetts far more effective and applicable to the widest number of recipients. While the United States has traditionally not been a welfare state, the government nonetheless has some responsibility to fill in the gap between those who can afford health care and those who cannot. A plan which aims to non-invasively fill in the gaps where financial hardships are typically the most severe is a gallant effort to fix the problems which are silently plaguing Massachusetts and the United States as a whole.

Daniel Rhodes CAS ’06 857-234-2344