Mid-day Mania

Key members of the Boston University sports fan base met with Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore and BU athletics staff at Agganis Arena in a closed meeting last night, after an email from Elmore’s assistant Michael Pereira prompted select students to come.

The email invited the students to join Elmore and hockey coach Jack Parker to “to brainstorm ideas and discuss the energizing of a new Dog Pound and student behavior at games.”

Minutes after the hour-long meeting concluded, Elmore brimmed with enthusiasm.

“I asked them what they think we can do to engage the fans,” he said. “We want the whole arena to be up and rocking all the time. We want people to be more involved.

“We wanted to get our heads together with Jack Parker and various students known for their part in BU athletics,” Elmore said. “[We wanted] to try to find ways to increase student participation in hockey and basketball games beyond Section 118 [the Dog Pound, to students]. The students in Section 118 drive the atmosphere.”

Dan Chaparian, one of the students present at the meeting, echoed Elmore’s excitement. Coming out of the meeting he said that he “felt really good,” despite knowing the purpose of the meeting beforehand.

“I hope other fans who didn’t know the details of the meeting left very enthused about the potential of the Terrier crowd because of the spirited plan of Elmore and the athletic department,” Chaparian said.

Parker will also be getting together with season ticket holders, “the serious fans and the de facto leaders of Terrier sports fans,” to talk about ideas for “enhancing the game experience,” Elmore said.

“Coach Parker spent most of his time telling us fans how the team reacts to the fans and that he wants to give the Terriers an even better home-crowd advantage, which includes involving both the young and old,” said Chaparian.

While details are under wraps, season-ticket holders can also look forward to a special item that will be offered to them as a token of their dedication.

Elmore wants to channel the exceptional creativity and energy he remembers from last year’s away game at New Hampshire, which two busloads of students drove up to, as well as the Beanpot.

“Agganis is a different kind of energy,” Elmore said, “especially when the Terriers are playing.”

Elmore noted how different the arena felt during the Bruins’ Black and White Game on Sept. 16, as well as the vast difference in atmosphere the Fleet Center and NHL hockey as a whole when compared to Terrier Hockey.

“It just makes my skin tingle,” he said.

“We want our fans to be so infectious that the fans from the other teams are cheering,” Elmore said. “We want 90 percent if not all fans on their feet. … BU has the classiest, smartest, most creative and most obnoxious fans in all of college sports. Their passion for Terrier sports is just terrific.”