Seattle band and Tufts rock for Hurricane Katrina victims

For Salem, a Seattle band featuring a fusion of funk, hip-hop, Afro-Cuban and jazz styles, touring in New England is a new experience. But add a bunch of Tufts University students and a great cause, and Salem finds itself a little closer to home.

On Oct. 5 at Johnny D’s Uptown in Somerville, Tufts students will host a benefit to raise money for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. The benefit will feature bands from the Tufts scene along with Salem, which is currently legging out a Northeast tour.

According to Salem vocalist and bassist Todd Anders Johnson, his band actively pursues social change through musical performance. Johnson has been a student activist musician for many years now, and he also works for a non-profit organization in Seattle that pursues social justice. Salem has headlined many shows in Alaska and other western states, but most of the group is originally from the East Coast, where Johnson attended the University of Vermont.

– Johnny D’s Uptown is located at the Davis Red Line T-Stop. The show begins at 8:30 p.m. m