Letters to the Editor: Rethink Greek life

n Re: “Staff edit: Strengthen campus frats,” (page 8, Sept. 30).

Who among the administrators actually believes that by preventing any new fraternities from acquiring charters they will improve the current pool of Greek organizations? That is the equivalent of granting a monopoly to a company so that they will improve their products for the consumer. In the real world, for things to improve there needs to be some incentive for it to improve. By barring new fraternities and sororities from the campus, the administration is all but destroying any chance of improvement among the 18 current Greek societies. If they granted new charters, these new organizations would be forced to work very hard in the areas of promotion, community involvement and volunteering in order to get their name out and become a viable organization.

It is irresponsible and unwise to assume that all new organizations on campus will be a detriment to the system. The off-campus Greek organizations need to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, in terms of their member involvement, merits, community service record and even cumulative GPA to determine if a collection of these students would be a benefit to BU. The university will probably be surprised by the caliber of students involved; frequently among their ranks are RAs, Dean’s Hosts and cum laude students. Before The Daily Free Press prints a staff editorial blindly supporting the administration, they should at least think about the legitimacy of the arguments they are defending.

Aron Legler CAS ’08