Creationism in a Cheap Tuxedo

In 1998, the Discovery Institute’s Center for the Renewal of Science and Culture, Intelligent Design’s (ID) most prominent proponent, published a manifesto titled “The Wedge Strategy.” The objective outlined in this document was the replacement of the methodological naturalism of science with “a theistic understanding that nature and human beings are created by God. So like the previous conflict over “creation science,” ID is a manufactured controversy bent on inserting religion into the science curriculum. As the kangaroo court put on by the Kansas Board of Education earlier this year shows, many proponents of ID are special creationists who dispute human evolution, natural selection, and even modern earth science. Now these creationists may not be quoting scripture (in public) as support for their ideas, but if looks, walks, and quacks like a duck, its a duck. Matthew Schoolfield’s complaint is unfounded for an indepth study of the ID movement such as that by Barbara Forrest and Paul Gross, lays bare the creationist undetones of this whole charade. The examples used by Mike Behe in Darwin’s Black Box can all be explained with evolutionary pathways, so no intelligent design is necessary. The frustration of scientists is from the fact that these creationists willingly recycle “controversies” that have been debunked again and again.