Women start AE on a roll

The Boston University women’s soccer team is no stranger to fast starts. The Terriers sit atop the America East standings after going undefeated in their first three conference games for the fifth time in seven years.

One of the times BU didn’t go unbeaten, however, was last year, when the 2004 squad fell to the University of Vermont, 4-0, in its second America East contest of the season.

It’s somewhat poetic, then, that the Terriers’ ascension to the league apex gained momentum with a 3-0 victory over those same Catamounts this past weekend.

In fact, the 2005 Terriers are showing a marked improvement against teams they struggled with last season, including upgraded performances against the University of Maine and Stony Brook University.

Last season, the Terriers lost to the Black Bears, 1-0, in their fourth conference game of the season. This year, BU had a 1-0 victory in its back pocket before Mother Nature intervened, pummeling the pitch with torrential rains and whipping winds, causing Terrier keeper Christina Reuter to cough up the ball in the goal box and allow a 84th-minute tying goal.

Against Stony Brook last year, BU outshot the Seawolves, 28-4, but couldn’t put one in the net en route to a double-overtime 0-0 tie. This season, the Terriers once again dominated Stony Brook, and this time they netted a goal when Melissa Shulman headed one home in the second half.

In all, the three games this year against Vermont, Maine and Stony Brook resulted in a 2-0-1 record, a complete turnaround from BU’s 0-2-1 mark against the very same teams only a year ago.

BU’s next conference opponent? The University at Albany, a team the Terriers trounced, 7-0 last year.

BLOWING IT UP

A few more tidbits coming out of the Terriers 3-0 win over Vermont: It marked the first time BU scored three goals or more since the aforementioned win over Albany on Oct. 22 of last year.

Meghann Cook’s two goals against the Catamounts marked her first multi-goal game of the season and first since recording a hat trick last season against – you guessed it – Albany.

LOCKING IT DOWN

The Terriers are one shutout off their pace through 13 games last season. The Terriers notched their fifth shutout of the season on Sunday. Last year, BU blanked UNH, 4-0, for their sixth shutout in 13 games.

This year, Stephanie Dreyer has posted three shutouts (all coming in her last four games) and Reuter has registered two.