Two CAS professors fill dean posts

Two Boston University College of Arts and Science professors recently moved up the ranks of the CAS administration, bringing their teaching and advising experience to the dean’s office.

Current CAS Associate Dean for Students Wayne Snyder replaced former Dean Loren Samons, who is on sabbatical and will permanently leave the university afterwards. Core Curriculum Acting Director David Eckel is filling in for Core Curriculum Assistant Dean James Johnson, who is also on sabbatical. Jackson will return to his position at the end of the academic year.

Snyder began his position July 1 and was trained by Samons for two months. Snyder works with four CAS offices – the Taylor Advising Center, Pre-Professional Advising, Student Records and the Office of Programs.

Snyder said his position requires him to “oversee student academic services for CAS, implement its policies and also get involved with student activities and student life in the college.”

Snyder held several titles before he took on the position of CAS dean for students and taught in the computer science department for 17 years. He also researched logic and artificial intelligence.

“I was director of Undergraduate Studies in [computer science] for a decade, associate chairman and chairman,” Snyder said. “I also have worked in the Taylor Advising Center as a faculty advisor for many years. So I knew a little bit about my new position before I started.”

It’s difficult to deal with students who are having trouble in CAS, whether academically or socially, while still maintaining BU’s academic standards, Snyder said.

“My least favorite part of the job is when a student has failed to meet some standard, say a GPA requirement or a divisional requirement, and is not graduating on time, or needs to take a little time away from BU,” he said. “It is really important to do this right, but it is definitely not fun for anyone involved.”

Religion professor Eckel said he is still teaching while serving as acting Core director. In addition to his teaching experience, Eckel said he brings “a lot of enthusiasm and love for teaching and learning” to the job.

“I really like the Core Curriculum and I was happy to be able to help the Core Curriculum flourish,” he said. “I think we’ve been doing a great job in the last few years and that [Core] plays a great role in the college. I was very happy to take on this responsibility.”

With two positions, Eckel said time management is an issue. Eckel said he finds it difficult to be accessible to all Core Curriculum members who have concerns.

Eckel is responsible for numerous aspects of the Core Curriculum, including coordinating the individual courses in the curriculum, Core’s budget, hiring new faculty, supporting current faculty and representing Core throughout CAS and the university.

Both Snyder and Eckel said they are enjoying the opportunity to work with students from a different position.

Snyder has been working with the CAS Forum, and Eckel has been sitting in on Core classes and meeting with students.

“Dean Snyder has been a great help to CAS Forum and through meetings with him, I can tell that he is excited about his new position,” CAS junior Olga Karanikos said. “Dean Snyder is very personable and is always more than willing to meet with students. He is brainstorming ideas to improve student life and I believe he will bring great energy and enthusiasm to CAS.”

CAS sophomore Margot Strasburger said she hasn’t met individually with Eckel, but said he has a reputation for being a good listener.

“I think Eckel is an incredibly smart man and a great resource if anyone wants to talk to him,” she said. “I’ve noticed him at quite a few of our lectures for both sections -Humanities and Social Sciences. It’s nice to know that there is a very intelligent guy with an equally strong character as director of Core.”

Snyder is currently signed to a three-year contract, but said he is thinking of remaining at the post long-term. Like President Robert Brown’s initiative to connect the university through the web, he said he wants to tap into his computer science knowledge.

“For the present, I’m thinking about doing whatever I can to use technology effectively to improve student life here at BU,” he said, “whether it is in the classroom or in advising or in building our sense of community through our web resources.”

Eckel said he wants to continue moving Core in the upward and positive direction set by Johnson.

“My most important goal is to hand the Core curriculum back to Jim Johnson, so that it’s as strong and successful when he comes back as it was when he left,” he said.