Got to Keep on Moving

A goal by Pam Spuehler in the 65th minute saved the Boston University field hockey team from a loss in regulation, but the University of Connecticut struck in the extra period, snapping the Terriers’ eight-game win streak with a 5-4 win.

The five goals allowed were a season-high for the No. 18 Terriers (11-4, 3-0 America East) who typically provide a stingy defense. The No. 12 Huskies (12-4, 2-1 Big East) won their sixth game in seven contests.

“I think there were some really good hockey moments in the game,” said BU goalkeeper Erin Prediger. “I think it shows the resiliency of the team that we could take UConn to overtime. That will help us get into the postseason.”

BU was outshot 20-6 in the match, but managed to score four times. The Terriers were limited to just two shots in the second period, and none in overtime.

The two teams traded goals throughout the duration of the game, with BU responding four times to send the game to overtime. Though the Terriers had an opportunity to win the game early in the extra period, they were unable to capitalize. The aggressive UConn offense took over, keeping the ball in its attacking end until it was able to notch the winning goal.

The Huskies got on the board first in the ninth minute, when UConn’s scoring leader Kristen Galuski scored on an assist from Lizzy Peijs. Starr brought in sophomore Hayley Hamada as a substitute and Hamada responded by scoring her third goal of the season to tie the game, with Spuehler picking up the assist. Both Spuehler and Hamada tallied three points in the contest.

UConn freshman Lindsey Leck scored the first of her two goals in the 21st minute, giving the Huskies a 2-1 lead, but Holly Wiles collected a rebound save and sent it to the back of the cage to tie the game before the break. The goal was the team-leading ninth for the freshman midfielder.

After the break, Leck scored again. BU sophomore Hadley Adams scored her first goal of the season to tie the game for the third time on an assist from Hamada. UConn’s Kati Cavanaugh then took advantage of a deflected ball in the circle to give the Huskies the lead again.

But as the second half entered its closing minutes, Spuehler wove her way through several defenders and sent a shot to the far corner of the cage, past substitute goalie Briana Koza to tie the game. It was Spuehler’s first goal since returning on Oct. 1 from injury.

Prediger earned seven saves in the game while allowing five goals. She has 52 saves this season. Bostwick collected one save for the Huskies, while allowing three goals. Koza allowed one goal, while earning no saves.

Wednesday’s match was the third game in five days for the Terriers. The team beat the University of Vermont, 4-2, in a conference match Saturday and followed that up with a 2-1 overtime victory against Princeton University Sunday afternoon. The Terriers have two days to rest before matching up against conference opponent the University at Albany on Saturday.

“I don’t think the loss will stop our momentum,” Prediger said. “I think this game will help us.”