Letters to the Editor: Renfro misguided

n In some misguided attempt to prove he might be smarter than everyone else, Charlie Renfro’s letter “CGS is below the rest” (page 8, Oct. 19) showed Boston University that he could not even make a valid argument. It is ludicrous to compare a broad liberal arts-based curriculum with one as focused as the School of Engineering. The program in the College of General Studies is probably most comparable to the Core Curriculum program in the College of Arts and Sciences. The students all take a diverse selection of classes covering humanities, social sciences and physical sciences in order to help them designate a major and CGS students have come out of their two years and competed equally within many of the other schools.

Each school and each major has distinctly separate identities and rightfully so. Mr. Renfro asks that CGS students take his physics course and then compare the difficulties without asking the same of a CAS or College of Communication student. My knowledge of most other fields outside of my courses is somewhat limited as is that of any other student. In the same manner that he suggested that CGS students may not understand what a Gaussian surface is, I am sure Mr. Renfro cannot explain what School of Management students are doing when they are accounting for convertible security.

Is Mr. Renfro really so insecure in his intelligence that he feels a need to one-up students who are not even competing with him for that elusive grade in some class? I find it wholly unnecessary that we try and rank the colleges when there isn’t even a standard we can compare them to. We are all students at an institution of higher learning; can’t that be enough?

Schirin Tang CAS ’06