BU gets to protect house again

There’s no rest for the weary. This Saturday, the Boston University field hockey team will look to keep its unbeaten conference record intact while playing its fourth game in eight days.

The No. 18 Terriers (12-4, 3-0 America East) also have another streak they are trying to continue – their home win streak. BU is 5-0 at Jack Barry Field this year. Their opponent, the University at Albany (7-8, 1-2), is 2-6 on the road.

The Terriers have gone 2-1 in the last week, beating the University of Vermont and Princeton University last weekend, before dropping a 5-4 overtime loss to No. 12 University of Connecticut Wednesday night.

“We have to be smart,” said BU coach Sally Starr. “Not only have they played three games this week, but it is also right in the middle of midterms for them. We need to make sure that they are physically rested and emotionally rested. Rest can only be a positive.”

Saturday’s match will boast two conference honorees. BU’s Holly Wiles was named the America East Rookie of the Week for the second time Monday after scoring the game-winning overtime goal against Princeton. Albany’s Tina Bryson was named conference Player of the Week after scoring four goals in three games. Bryson leads her team in scoring with nine goals and three assists and is one of the major reasons for her team’s recent improvement.

“This is a big conference game for Albany, who is playing for the opportunity to make the conference playoffs,” Starr said. “They are a well-coached team and they play hard. They were better last year than they were the year before that, and they are better this year than they were last year.”

Starr will have several options to throw at Albany goalie Ashley Ross. In addition to Wiles, who leads the Terriers in goals scored, with nine, the team can also rely on Hayley Hamada. The sophomore midfielder has been hot lately, earning one goal in Saturday’s conference win over Vermont and three points in Wednesday’s loss.

And it’s impossible to overlook Pam Spuehler, last year’s America East Rookie of the Year, whose goal against UConn was her first since returning from a concussion and wrist injury on Oct. 1.

Goalkeeper Erin Prediger leads the team’s defense. With 52 saves and a .776 save percentage, Prediger has recorded five shutouts for the Terriers. Ross has posted a .615 save percentage for the Great Danes while accumulating 56 saves.

With just three games remaining in the regular season, the Terriers are beginning to turn one eye toward the postseason. The Terriers last made an NCAA Tournament appearance in 2000. Last year’s team made it to the America East championship game before losing 2-0 to Northeastern University. With the combination of Northeastern in a new conference and a young, aggressive team, Starr said this year’s Terriers – deep and “close-knit” – have the opportunity to go farther than the 2004 edition.

“Last year’s team was good, but I think this year’s team is better,” she said.