A chance for national cred

For the first time in history, the Boston University women’s ice hockey team can say that one of its games has implications in the national polls.

The Terriers (4-1-3, 2-1-2 Hockey East) will face their toughest challenger in No. 6 Dartmouth College at Thompson Arena tomorrow afternoon. This game marks the season opener for the Big Green, and the first time that BU has played against a nationally ranked program. “We are pretty excited that we have a chance to play them,” said BU coach Brian Durocher. “I am most appreciative of Dartmouth’s coaching staff for giving us this challenge.”

Dartmouth is consistently one of the best teams in the ECAC. Last season, the Big Green finished second behind Harvard University with a 16-4-0 conference record before journeying all the way to the Frozen Four, finally losing to the University of Minnesota, 7-2.

While the Big Green are just starting the season this weekend, the Terriers are nearly a month into their inaugural season. Thus, BU has had time to adjust its lines and establish a team identity. Even though the Terriers are definitive underdogs, Durocher believes that the early start to the season will help close the gap between the teams.

“We’ve had time to get some of the kinks out,” he said. “This doesn’t make us perfect, but without a doubt it gives us a chance to be better prepared.”

The skill and experience gaps have also been narrowed by the departure of three of Dartmouth’s top players. Would-be seniors Cherie Piper, Katie Weatherston and Gillian Apps are not on the team this year, instead training for spots on the Canadian National Team for the 2006 Winter Olympics. Such recognition is a testament to their talent, but for now it is three fewer scorers that the Terriers have to worry about.

Accounting for nearly half of the Big Green’s goals last year (77 of 155), Piper (23), Weatherston (38) and Apps (16) put a dent in the Dartmouth offense. Weatherston led the team in goals; Piper led in points with 60.

“With them gone, I hope we are closer to Dartmouth in talent level,” Durocher said.

But one scorer from last year’s formidable junior class is back. Senior Tiffany Hagge netted 27 goals in 2004-05, good for second best behind Weatherston. Hagge was also third on the team in points (48).

“Hagge is one of their top returning kids,” Durocher said. “We need to keep an eye on her.”

Dartmouth also has an exceptional freshman class this season. Among these standouts are Shannon Bowman and Maggie Kennedy.

As assistant captain and team MVP of the Ontario Women’s Hockey Association’s Windsor Wild Cats, Bowman led the team to a silver medal in the 2005 provincial championship. Kennedy played alongside Terrier freshman Maeghan Ouimet last season on the Connecticut Polar Bears of the Women’s and girls’ Ice Hockey Association. She captained the team and led it to a national championship.

In goal, the Big Green have senior Kate Lane. She started 21 games last season, boasting a 2.61 goals-against average and a .891 save percentage.

“This is one of those games where our resiliency and physical skills are going to be challenged,” Durocher said. “We better match them in competitiveness, because our down streak has gone on too long.”

Even though the Terriers have either won or tied their last seven games, Durocher is not pleased with the shot disparities in these games. After an initial improvement following the 19-shot difference against Boston College, BU was outshot, 28-21, by Northeastern University on Wednesday night.

Freshman Laurel Koller leads the team in goals (5), assists (6) and points (11). Not far behind are freshmen Gina Kearns and Nicki Wiart, who have four goals apiece.

“There will be no let up from Dartmouth,” Durocher said.

Freshmen Amanda Shaw and Erin Seman have also made major contributions to the team’s scoring. Shaw netted two goals in the 4-2 win over the Huskies this week and made three assists in the second game against the University of Vermont. After returning from a bruised leg she sustained against BC, Seman has scored twice and notched one assist.

Allyse Wilcox has remained solid in goal, compiling a 2.22 goals-against average and a .927 save percentage. Against a strong offensive team such as the Big Green, Wilcox will need to be at the top of her game.

“We got to try and avoid the five-goal leads they put up on some other teams last year,” Durocher said.

Durocher has stressed teamwork all season, but it will be particularly vital against the nationally acclaimed Dartmouth squad.

“We are taking everything we’ve got,” he said. “We leave nothing on the bus for this game.”