Heroics send Terriers to AE finals

There was 5:19 to go in the semifinal of the America East Tournament on Sunday afternoon for the Boston University women’s soccer team, and the University of New Hampshire had just broken the scoreless tie, plunging a knife into the top-seeded Terriers’ hopes.

On the sidelines, BU coach Nancy Feldman was preparing a speech about what she was going to say to her team after the game. Junior goalkeeper Steph Dreyer angrily kicked the ball to midfield, disgusted she let the shot – and maybe the season – get away from her.

Senior forwards Meghann Cook and Melissa Shulman were slowly walking up the field. The America East Striker of the Year and the Second Team All-League forward started making plans.

“I felt like my heart broke for a second,” Cook said.

“When they got that goal, I was thinking, this can’t happen,” Shulman said. “But after that, we totally flipped that switch and everyone went out for five minutes.”

And in those five minutes, no one turned it on more than Shulman. Within 10 minutes of game time, she turned in the performance of the year, carrying her team to a 2-1 overtime win.

A re-energized Terrier offense forced its way into the Wildcat defensive zone. By placing pressure on the UNH defenders, Cook was able to draw a foul and get a free kick outside the goal box with 4:30 to go.

Cook put the ball in the center of the box, a low line drive that found Shulman’s head. As it ricocheted off her head, the ball flew high into the air and over the outreached hands of UNH goalie Julie Randall.

And just that quick – in a shocking turn of events – the Terriers (12-4-4, 7-0-1 America East), whose season seemed doomed a just minute before, were tied.

“So many balls were so close all game,” Cook said. “But when I saw Muggs coming across, and she’s so good in the air. I don’t know. I just had a feeling. Muggs is my hero.”

Shulman’s heroics, however, were far from over. After rising above her opposition to tie the game, her effort in overtime was more astonishing.

A minute and 30 seconds into the overtime, with the score tied, Shulman handled the ball 35 yards out. From that distance, most players would think of setting up an attack. But when you have a leg like Shulman, you can kick the ball a little further than others can.

So she let loose from 35 yards out, firing a bullet through the air that snuck just beneath the crossbar – out of Randall’s reach and in the back of the net.

“In 10 minutes, I went from the sickest feeling in the world to exhilaration,” Feldman said. “I love number 20 and I love the team for continuing to believe.”

For the Terriers, each victory is becoming more of a reason to believe. After beating the Wildcats (9-8-2, 3-3-2) Sunday, BU hasn’t lost in 10 games. They will take on the University of Maine, which tied the Terriers in a rain-soaked affair on Sept. 29 – and the team picked right behind BU in the preseason coaches poll.

So, where does this dramatic victory rank on Feldman’s list of great games at BU?

“This one, I guess, ranks as number one because of the significance of it,” she said. “If we win, we carry on. If we don’t win, the season’s over. That kind of comeback is just one for the ages.”

So for at least one more game, the Terriers’ dreams of the NCAA Tournament are still alive.

But for now, Cook said she’s just going to enjoy the moment.

“This is unbelievable,” she said. “Words can’t even describe it. I’m ecstatic.”