Letter to the Editor: No in-state tuition for illegal aliens

Re: “Local leaders demand fair tuition for immigrants,” (page 3, Nov. 1) As an immigrant, I wish to respond to your article, “Local leaders demand fair tuition for [illegal] immigrants.”

Many American students cannot afford college or have to take out student loans. Is it responsible to subsidize illegal alien students who have no legal right to be in this country with reduced tuition at the expense of our own native underprivileged?

Open-border advocates claim that those illegal youngsters’ parents pay taxes. However, last December, Barron’s reported that the underground economy in this country was fueled largely by “the nation’s swelling ranks of low-wage illegal immigrants” and would “soon pass $1 trillion.” Even if their low-skilled illegal alien parents pay taxes, the revenues they generate are not sufficient to offset the cost of educating their grade-school children – at an average of over $7,000 per child per year – let alone the cost of other infrastructure.

Americans must focus on helping American children of all racial backgrounds who are our priority. According to test scores, many American children are falling behind their counterparts in many countries in Asia and Europe in part due to exploding immigration-related enrollments. Americans must wake up: The U.S. is declining very rapidly. The Chinese government now holds $190 billion of our national debt. America, the greatest debtor nation on Earth, still has over 30 million Americans living in poverty.

Yeh Ling-Ling Executive Director Diversity Alliance for a Sustainable America