Men picked No. 2 while Wynn gets first team nod

The Boston University men’s basketball team was picked to finish second in the America East preseason coaches poll released yesterday.

The Terriers received three first-place votes and 52 total points, ranking behind the University at Albany, which gathered five first-place votes and 61 points.

“I’m not sure, based on our roster, that we deserve to be picked that high,” said BU coach Dennis Wolff. “We do have talent … [but] we’re going to be relatively inexperienced.”

BU finished 20-9 (14-4 America East) in 2004-05, but the Terriers start this season without last season’s top three scorers in Etienne Brower (transferred), Rashad Bell and Chaz Carr (both to graduation).

“I can’t tell you that any one person will make up for the scoring that [they did],” Wolff said. “We’ll need to spread it out and have four or five guys contribute.”

One holdover from last season, senior guard Shaun Wynn, was named to the preseason all-conference team. The co-captain averaged 6.2 points per game and 3.4 assists per game last season and was the America East Defensive Player of the Year as a sophomore.

“I think [Wynn] will set the defensive tempo,” Wolff said. “He had a very good sophomore year and he really battled through some foot injuries last year that affected his ability to shoot his jumpshot. He’ll be more of a threat on the offensive end [this year]. He’s certainly the guy with the most experience.”