Different stories, same goal

Championships were meant to be decided this way. The best two teams together, on the field, playing for the most important goal in their sport. And for the Boston University women’s soccer team, they will have to beat the best – the University of Maine – to be the best in the America East.

History shows that when the No. 1 and No. 2 teams from any sport collide in a battle for a major title, sparks usually fly. And when Saturday’s game pits the preseason picks to finish first and second in the America East, it’s likely there will be fireworks.

The same firecrackers already started blasting off for the Terriers (12-4-4, 8-0-1 America East) in their heart-pounding 2-1 overtime victory last Sunday over the University of New Hampshire. Maine had a similarly intense affair against Binghamton University on the same day, winning the contest on penalty kicks, 3-1, after playing to a 1-1 tie through regulation and two overtimes.

But why should the road to the conference finals for these two teams be different? The two titans of America East women’s soccer have played remarkably similarly all season.

Both squads are defensive-minded, while opportunistic on offense.

Each squad has dynamite goalkeepers – Maine sophomore Jasmine Phillips won America East Goaltender of the Year and BU’s combination of sophomore Christina Reuter and junior Stephanie Dreyer put together a combined a goals-against average of 0.60.

All of this, of course, makes the first meeting of the season between these two teams seem that much more appropriate. The Terriers and the Black Bears (11-5-2, 7-1-1) slugged their way through intense rain to a 1-1 tie.

So, what do the Scarlet and White have to change this Saturday to get over the hump against the Black and Blue?

“Nothing really,” said BU coach Nancy Feldman. “We’re a better team since then and we’ve evolved. We’re going to continue to try to do all the things we do well and execute them. You go with what got you there.”

What got the Terriers here were contributions from all over the field, but particularly from their five big seniors – Susan Marschall, Brittany McDonald, Brooke Bingham, Meghann Cook and last Sunday’s heroine, Melissa Shulman.

And each one of the seniors has lit up the field. Three are members of the conference’s first team (Bingham as a midfielder, McDonald as a defender and Striker of the Year Cook), two take spots on the second (Marschall on defense and Shulman at forward).

And the Black and Blue that Maine brings to Nickerson may extend far past their jerseys. Feldman said BU is going to have to be ready to play a physical match against a powerful Maine squad.

“Their biggest strength is they’re a powerful team and they’re physical,” she said. “They’re also athletic enough to play that style effectively and they’re very good defensively, as well. They aren’t super-dynamic in the attack, but they’re hard-working and present a challenge defensively.

“You can’t rest for a second or they’ll take advantage of the opportunity.” It goes without saying, then, that the Boston 11 will have to be ready to play all facets of their game. For in any heavyweight bout – especially one of this size – both parties always bring their best.

However, despite the pressure of a game like this, the women are training for this game in a matter more befitting to a regular-season game than the championship they’ve worked for all year.

“Our practice on Tuesday was excellent,” Feldman said. “We’re playing with a good balance of looseness with us also knowing what we need to do. We’re competing hard in practice, but it’s not tense. That’s good for us.”