Bird flu prompts abroad concerns

Despite the national and international concern surrounding the avian flu pandemic, Boston University students and officials say the virus is not deterring study abroad plans or affecting the university’s current international programs.

H5N1 virus, known as the “bird flu,” has killed about 63 people in Southeast Asian countries since 2003 and has recently been detected in birds in Eastern European countries. It is feared that migratory birds could spread the virus to other parts of the world.

International Programs Institutional Relations Director Joe Finkhouse said the International Programs Department is not taking any “direct action” in regard to students who are going abroad.

“We’re not prepared to issue a warning,” he said. “If and when there is an outbreak, we will issue a warning.”

Finkhouse likened the warning to that issued to students studying in Southeast Asian countries during the SARS outbreak several years ago. “The warnings would follow closely with the regulations that the Center of Disease Control puts out,” he said.

Finkhouse said the department is staying informed about the latest bird flu news in the world and especially at its overseas sites.

“For now our top priority is to provide students with as much information as possible, so that they can make the best decisions possible,” he said. “If there was an outbreak we’d potentially suspend a program for our students’ safety. But we’ve never had to do that for any reason before.”

BU spokesman Colin Riley said the university does not have a detailed policy regarding bird flu yet.

“This is the 64,000 dollar question,” he said, “for the country, for the world.”

College of Arts and Sciences junior Ziva Cizman said the bird flu is not affecting her plans to study in Madrid next semester.

“I’m going to Spain, [I’m] not [going to] any part of the world that has had any cases of it,” she said. “I don’t think a country like Spain has any more or less of a chance in getting the virus than the United States does.”

College of General Studies sophomore Eveling Vasquez said she is determined to study in either Spain or Ecuador in the future despite a possible bird flu pandemic.

“I would try to get some vaccine against it,” she said. “And I want to go abroad. As an International Relations student, it’s something I really want to do.”

College of Communication freshman Samara Vise said the university should keep students informed about the situation overseas, but that students have the ultimate responsibility in staying healthy.

“Both have to take a part,” she said. “Obviously the university has a duty to protect its student, but it also has other duties like academics and preparing students for the real world.”

Vise said she hoped the bird flu would not affect many students’ interest in studying abroad.

“BU has great study abroad programs,” she said. “And it would be unfortunate to compromise them for something like the bird flu.”