Pro-Choice not strictly Pro-Abortion

Dear Editor,

Tara Stroll is right-I am shocked by her recent column about women’s reproductive rights. Ms. Stroll blames the Pro-Choice side for irresponsibly endangering the lives of women by withholding information.

However, while Ms. Stroll touts her knowledge about what women don’t know, she is leaving out some very important information herself: Pro-Choice is about having a choice, having the knowledge to decide whether the best choice is an abortion, an adoption or keeping the child. Never have I met a pro-choice woman who solely argued against Pro-Life. Despite what some people would like to believe, the idea that pro-choice equals anti-baby feminazis is ridiculous. Unfortunately, with such stringent opposition to even birth control and the Morning After Pill, efforts are currently focused on the right to have a choice, and the right to know that those choices are out there.

What Ms. Stroll doesn’t address is that countless women’s rights groups are working to inform women of their choices-all of them. Recently, Representative Carolyn Maloney of New York worked to have Emergency Contraception available to rape survivors, and Seventeen magazine published Vagina 101, an article geared to teach girls real-life information about their bodies (which was subsequently banned by some of the same stores who conversely sell pornographic magazines). But Ms. Stroll must realize that the push for women’s rights is a slow and steady effort that has been working over a century with constant opposition from both men and women. Perhaps rather than calling out the Pro-Choice side, Ms. Stroll should focus her efforts on helping the groups she attacks.

Holly Grande hgrande@gmail.com 4044344597 COM ’08