The Final Step

Before they can put on their dancing shoes, the members of the Boston University field hockey team must lace up their cleats one more time.

Saturday’s victory over the University of Maine to win the America East title was just the beginning for the Terriers. If the team is to make some moves in the NCAA Tournament, it must first go through Central Michigan University.

The No. 18 Terriers (15-5) meet the champions of the Mid-American Conference (11-11) in a play-in game for a spot in the 16-team NCAA Tournament this afternoon at Jack Barry Field. The winner moves one step closer to the national title, while the losing team ends its 2005 season.

“Our focus has been on taking it one game at a time,” said BU coach Sally Starr. “‘Don’t make any game bigger than the previous game or the next game.’ That’s really been our motto.”

But the games, especially the last three, have gotten bigger. Quickly. With each victory they accumulate, the stakes get higher and higher. A win this afternoon, and the Terriers head to the tournament for the first time since 2000.

The Terriers bring to the contest an offense that contains a trio of talented underclassmen.

Freshman Holly Wiles earned five points in the Terriers’ 5-1 semifinal win over the University of Vermont Friday on two goals and an assist, giving the America East Rookie of the Year a team-best 11 goals this season.

Sophomore Sarah Shute patrols the midfield alongside Wiles. Named the America East Offensive Player of the Year last Thursday, Shute scored two goals in the team’s 3-1 win over the University of Maine to help lead BU to the conference title.

Sophomore Pam Spuehler, named to the All-Championship team Saturday for her work on both offense and defense, is a third threat for BU opponents.

The Terriers also boast a strong defense, anchored by tri-captains Caitlyn Cassara, Colleen McClay and Erin Calamari. The three defenders have limited opponents to 9.3 shots per game and, with the help of goalie Erin Prediger, are responsible for five shutouts this year. Both Cassara and McClay were named to the All-Championship team. In addition, McClay was named the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player.

Prediger, in her third year starting in the cage, has a 1.08 goals-against average and a .773 save percentage in 18 games this season.

But Central Michigan has had success in the underdog role recently. The Chippewas won three games in three days – including an upset over top-seeded Kent State University – to win their conference tournament Saturday.

The Terriers had little time to celebrate their championship. After winning the title at about 4 p.m. Saturday afternoon, they were back on the field to practice on Sunday for what Starr referred to as an “active recovery.”

“It’s important for us to get together and just take care of ourselves physically,” she said.

Starr, in her 25th season as BU’s coach, has led the Terriers to the NCAA Tournament seven times, including back-to-back appearances in 1999 and 2000. In 1985, the Starr-led Terriers made it to the Final Four. But the experience of the NCAA Tournament – even the play-in game – is new for the entire team.

Though the team posted winning seasons in two of the last three, the 2005 campaign easily ranks as the best, according to McClay.

“Nothing compares to winning a championship,” she said. “We have most of the girls back from last season and our team is just really tight this year. Everyone steps on the field and they all want it just as bad as the next person.”