Local bands play to small crowd at BU

A small group of students turned out for another concert in BU Central’s semester-long concert series Tuesday night to hear two local rock bands play.

The band Night Rally opened for the larger act, Aberdeen City, both of which are groups based in the Boston area.

Student Activities Office Programs Coordinator Josh Hiscock said he had expected between 50 and 100 students to attend, but only about 20 students showed up for the show.

College of Arts and Sciences sophomore Tom Simmons said the small crowd did not affect the quality of the performance.

“[The atmosphere] was a little bit awkward on account of the number of people here,” he said, “but I still enjoyed myself.”

School of Management junior Kraj Bhatia said he was impressed by the bands.

“Their energy was there,” he said. “We all had a good time no matter what. … I really had a good time despite the crowd.”

Brad Parker, who plays bass and sings vocals for Aberdeen City, said playing at a college campus is a unique experience for his band.

“You’re always going to encounter a different kind of show when you’re on campus,” he said. “It’s definitely a different experience than playing in clubs. But usually it’s a good experience, because the kids who are there are there to hang out and listen to the music, so you have an attentive audience, and who could ever complain with that?”

Farad Ebramhimi, bassist and vocalist for Night Rally, described the reaction of the crowd as positive.

“We haven’t played too many on-campus shows,” he said, “but I think all of them, regardless of how many people there are, the audience has always been really responsive … and a successful show is usually whether we enjoy it or not and we definitely enjoyed ourselves tonight, so it was definitely successful.”