Shah snags ‘Terrier Idol’ title in finals

Boston University students contended for the “Terrier Idol” title Wednesday night at the School of Management during the finals of BU’s version of “American Idol.”

About 250 students attended the second annual competition hosted by College of Communication senior Rob O’Reilly, who is a former columnist for The Daily Free Press.

The 11 competitors performed original and commercial pieces, then audience members voted for their favorite performer.

First-place winner Neil Shah won third place in last year’s contest.

“I expected to make the top three, but not to win,” the College of Arts and Sciences junior said. “There’s a lot of talent out there.”

Shah said his original song, “Worst Case Scenario,” was based on a dream.

Second-place winner Caitlyn Hessel said she agreed with the audience’s choice of Terrier Idol.

“I thought the winner had a song that put the crowd in a good mood,” the CAS junior said. “It was fun to listen to.”

School of Management freshman Raphael Arar said Shah’s musical abilities added to the performance.

“His guitar playing is amazing and he’s a great songwriter,” he said.

COM junior Kali Giaritta placed third, with SMG junior Andrew Mohr as a close runner-up.

The show opened with a special performance by last year’s winner, COM sophomore Angelica Allen. BU performance groups In Accord, Fusion and the BU Treblemakers provided intermission entertainment.

WTBU Promotions Director Candace Cheong said she was extremely pleased with the outcome of the event.

“Compared to last year, it was a smaller event, but still successful,” the COM junior said. “It was a chance for students to cheer on their friends and to see the talent of the school.”