Spuehler’s been splendid

They might as well just stand there. Opponents have stood little chance against Pam Spuehler recently, watching as the Boston University field hockey sophomore dribbles around them – even through them, occasionally – on her way to the goal. While other players are beginning to drag, feeling the fatigue of another 20-game season, Spuehler is just hitting her stride.

It took Spuehler just 7:22 to score twice in yesterday’s 5-3 win over Central Michigan University, helping send BU to its first NCAA Tournament in five years. She topped off her career-best five-point performance with an assist to end the first half.

“I don’t even remember the goals, to be honest with you,” Spuehler said. “They were just at the beginning of the game. Our whole team came out on a high. It wasn’t just me.”

Perhaps Spuehler needs a bit of a refresher. Four minutes into the game, she broke free of Chippewa defenders and sprinted to the top of the circle, where she accepted a pass from Sarah Hudak to score the first goal of the game. It took a mere 190 seconds for her to score the second goal, sending the ball into the cage from eight yards away.

“We’ve been telling her that she could score from that midfield position, and I think she made two big goals for us to set us up well,” said BU coach Sally Starr.

After making waves in her rookie year, it appeared the sky was the limit for Spuehler in her second year. The Sudbury native scored seven goals and an added assist last season, earning 2004 America East Rookie of the Year honors and a conference second team spot.

But her season hit a snag earlier this year. During a Sept. 6 practice, Spuehler crashed into the cage, sustaining a concussion and wrist injury that put her out of commission for six games.

“She lost all of September and she’s just now getting into her midseason form,” Starr said. “She has definitely been playing some good hockey for us.”

Relegated to the bench for almost a month, Spuehler used her time away from the game to look at the sport in a new light.

“It was difficult to watch,” Spuehler said. “But it was also fun, in a way. I’d never really looked at it from the sidelines. It was upsetting, but kind of exciting at the same time.”

Since returning for the Oct. 2 match against Yale University, Spuehler has earned four goals and six assists. Despite playing in just 15 of 21 games, the sophomore is tied for fourth on the team in scoring. Her efforts were rewarded by America East officials, who named Spuehler to the First Team All-Conference this season.

“I just go out and do my best, but I think it’s my teammates that I’m getting credit for,” Spuehler said.

But Starr takes a different point of view than the modest midfielder, saying that Spuehler has improved her already talented game.

“She’s a more complete player since last season,” Starr said. “Her passing game is excellent. Her defense is excellent. So is her transition game. I think ‘complete’ is the best way to describe her.”