Citizens rally for racetrack slots

Calling on legislators to approve a bill that would introduce slot machines to racetracks, about 200 jockeys, racetrack workers and state representatives rallied Wednesdayin front of the State House, saying the measure would save the stagnant Massachusetts racing industry from further economic decline.

The House of Representatives was scheduled to vote on the bill, which was approved by the Senate last month, but did not discuss the measure in sessions yesterday.

Vincent Cicolini, who brought his racehorse to the rally, said the racing industry will be out of business if the bill does not pass.

Cicolini also owns a bus company that shuttles about 200 Massachusetts gamblers to resorts in Connecticut and Rhode Island, where class III gambling — which includes slot machines and card games — is legal. When Massachusetts residents travel to other states to gamble, those states gain tax revenue that Cicolini said could potentially benefit Massachusetts.

The only way of preventing “a chain reaction” from toppling the four beleaguered state racetracks, Cicolini said, is to allow residents to use slot machines in Massachusetts.

Harness driver Brad Irvine said states that have slot machines or other forms of gambling offer awards three to four times higher than those in states where gambling is prohibited at racetracks.

According to Don Caroli, a racetrack employee, declining popularity in horse racing is due to a lack of youth interest and disparity in wages with other professional sports.

The 4,000 employees whose jobs are at stake at Suffolk Downs, Wonderland Greyhound Park, Raynham Park and Plainridge Race Course have already suffered a 30 to 40 percent salary cut, said Louse Ciarlone, president and business manager of International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 123.

Demonstrators agreed that because some Massachusetts residents have a penchant for gambling, the proceeds of their hobby should benefit state communities. The state, they said, is losing more than $300 million in revenue to residents who leave the state to gamble, depriving local communities of funds for law enforcement, public safety and education.

Labor leader Bob Haynes presented local mayors and state representatives who expressed their support for the bill, emphasizing their communities’ needs for extra tax revenue.

Rep. Bob Coughlin (D-Needham) said the introduction of slot machines would help gain back the 200,000 jobs lost in recession.

Countering claims that compulsive gambling can have dangerous side effects, Rep. Brian Wallace (D-Suffolk) said recent studies have shown a decrease in local crime around out-of-state gambling facilities. But the gambling facilities have not led to an increase in gambling-related addictions, he said.

According to State Police Lt. Paul Maloney, protesters have been demonstrating in front of the State House every morning since the Senate passed the bill last month.