Derailed stays on tracks with enjoyable enough cast

Swedish director Mikael Hafstrom’s latest film, Derailed, starring Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston, is only mildly entertaining, lacking the “oomph” of an enthralling thriller. When narrator Owen’s ad executive Charles Schine incidentally meets financial advisor Lucinda Harris (Jennifer Aniston), it is not long before the two set aside their not-so-witty repartee in favor of a dingy motel room.

Things get complicated when, midway through the passionate affair, a burglar, Phillip Laroche (Vincent Cassel) attacks in a truly disturbingly violent and cringe-worthy scene. Laroche continues to stalk Charles, entangling him in a web of money, lies and death.

It does not take long to figure out the big “surprise,” and most of the film is spent waiting for Schine to figure it out as well. Though some parts are shocking and exciting, the majority of the film is just predictable, adding nothing interesting to the vast collection of films in its genre. It does not build momentum and the story’s pace is uneven. Though violent and at times, scary, the film is unemotional, save for a few scenes, as the focus becomes about the money.

The best element of the film is the acting. Though Owen does not bring anything new to the film, his cold aloofness is still wonderful to watch. Aniston takes a great leap from her Rachel-esque characters to play Lucinda Harris with an edginess never seen from her before. She is intriguing, subtle and gives a compelling performance. Both Owen and Aniston, however, are overshadowed by Cassel. He dives head first into his role to play the disgusting, loathsome, greasy, but clever villain. Ultimately, all three stars and the supporting cast do an excellent job with a mediocre story.

Derailed will give you two hours that requires little brain activity and a fabulous A-list cast. m