The BU Field Hockey Team as a model for sports

The Boston University Women’s Field Hockey Team bowed out of the NCAA tournament this past Saturday, falling to Michigan 4-3 in overtime. The contest was hard-fought, but the Wolverines squeaked by in the end, halting BU’s season at 16-6. I had the pleasure of attending the majority of the team’s home (and some away) games this semester. Throughout the season BU played with brilliance. They hustled to every ball regardless of the score and worked hard enough to make any coach proud. Time and again they mounted calculated offensive attacks in which any one of their various forwards or midfielders was a threat to score. I frequently watched in awe as Pam Spuehler effortlessly dribbled in and out of befuddled defenders, Sarah Shute owned the left side of the field and freshman standout Holly Wiles assaulted opposing goalkeepers with a barrage of shots from around the circle. Speaking of goalkeepers, Erin Prediger had the lowest GAA in America East this season and, with the aid of a superb defense, strung together a run of five consecutive shutouts earlier this year. Every member of the BU squad consistently demonstrated incredible skill on the Field Hockey field. However, even more impressive than their proficiency on the field was the team’s unity and closeness off of it. Fortunately, I got a chance to know many of the players this season and to see how they interact when they’re not playing Field Hockey. In doing so, I came to know one of the most cohesive, close-knit and mutually supportive social groups I have ever come across. They are more than simple teammates that practice and play together; they are companions that live, eat, study, go out, succeed, fail, and rebuild together. There is little division among them. The freshmen have some of their closest relationships with graduating seniors, starters receive unconditional support from reserves and they all understand that it takes the combined effort of every player to achieve their goals. They are, in this respect, a model collegiate sports team. Without taking anything away from the other incredible teams here at BU, the Field Hockey team embodies, in one humble fan’s opinion, the very essence of sport. In a game that is often overlooked and largely misunderstood, they consistently thrive both on and off the field. I’m convinced that their greatest strength throughout the season has been the unquestioned love, support and respect they have for each other. The team’s motto throughout the season surrounded the idea that sport (and life) is a game of inches. That extra inch, they believe, is the one that must be fought and clawed for in order to emerge successful. At season’s end, these women have come a virtual mile in terms of such inches, fighting and earning every one. After a much-deserved off-season, they will undoubtedly approach next season with the same mentality, and will continue to be an exemplary collegiate sports team and amazing group of young women.

Dave Freeman SED ’08 dfree@bu.edu (401)-339-9947