Pachanga celebrates Latin culture

Pachanga, a cultural event hosted by Boston University’s Latino group La Fuerza, drew students of all ethnicities for a Saturday night filled with Latin music, dancing, food and culture at BU Central.

Sponsored by BU Central and the Student Activities Office, the event, which occurs twice a year, offered students a Latino atmosphere complete with colorful and authentic Mexican decorations, festive music, a salsa dancing demonstration and an array of Hispanic foods.

Meaning “party” or “gathering” in Spanish, Pachanga also has a familial connotation, according to La Fuerza secretary Sara-Marie Pons.

“La Fuerza holds these types of events to bring together the Latino community,” the School of Management junior said. “They allow students to gather together over similar customs.”

Pachanga allowed Latinos to showcase and celebrate their culture in a variety of ways. Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences sophomore Joanna Guerrero performed traditional salsa dancing and said she believes students can understand a part of Latin culture through dancing, especially traditional dances.

“Our salsa dances reflect Latino culture by showing that we’re fun and lively and love to dance,” she said.

Alfonso Lau, a New England Institute of Art freshman, said he heard about the event through friends and came to experience the cultural displays.

“My favorite part is the general environment,” he said.

SAO Programs Coordinator Josh Hiscock said cultural events like Pachanga reflect the diversity at BU and allow students to experience cultures other than their own.

“SAO believes that experiential learning is most effective,” he said. “Experiencing an aspect of culture first-hand is the best way to begin to understand others.”

Pons said Pachanga also provided Latinos with a chance to break stereotypes.

“Many students only know Latin culture as they experience it over spring break,” she said.

Guerrero said Pachanga emphasized the Latin community’s “strong sense of family and faith.”

“Latinos are dedicated to their culture,” she said.

Although the crowd was a little smaller than the previous Pachanga, Pons said La Fuerza was pleased with the turnout.

“The fall Pachangas are typically a little smaller than the ones in the spring,” she said.

But students’ reactions to Pachanga were positive. College of Communication sophomore Shana Guzick said she attended the event because her friend was dancing in the salsa performance.

“I loved the music and the food was exquisite,” she said. “Everything was fabulous. I have no complaints.”