Campus Conservative column 11/14

I had to take a step back when I read Tara Stroll’s latest column on Harriet Miers and affirmative action (11/14). I had never thought of l’affaire Miers as proof of the inherent folly of affirmative action policies. Though Stroll may have uncovered an idea not much discussed in print – that the nomination itself was a case of affirmative action – I think she missed the larger point. I agree that President Bush probably nominated a woefully unqualified candidate _because_ she was a woman. However, Stroll seemed to write that off to a misguided, knee-jerk attempt at diversity on Bush’s part. I give him more credit.

When Miers withdrew her bid, my mother opined that, if the President’s goal had been precisely to ensure that a woman would _not_ end up on the court, yet to win himself credit meanwhile for nominating a woman, he couldn’t have done a better job. In short, he picked a sure loser on purpose (or his puppeteers did). I replied that, if I wanted to see _Roe v. Wade_ overturned in my own lifetime, I wouldn’t appoint a woman on a bet. The Alito nomination just goes further to confirm this administration’s agenda.

David Meadow MAT School of Education ’06 617.894.2674