Letters to the Editor: Later hours don’t work

I am writing to comment on your call for expanded library hours during the period leading up to finals. Mugar Memorial Library remains one of the few in the Boston area that opens for 24 hours during any period. Because of similar suggestions made by the Student Union, Mugar has offered hours both until 2 a.m. in advance of finals, and for 24 hours during the entire week prior to them. The response was disappointing to the libraries and the Student Union.

In May of 2003, for instance, on the four nights the library was open until 2 a.m., fewer than 10 students entered the library after midnight. Further, the average number of students in the building at 1:30 a.m. was under 35, whereas on the same days for the week during finals the average was over 225. A similar disparity exists between the days it was open prior to reading period and in reading period/final exams themselves.

As several recent articles in The Daily Free Press point out, there is a trend for students to use internet services in complement with the traditional library. In this regard, even when the library is closed, we make over 23,000 journals, 400 databases and a 24/7 reference service available.

The libraries need to operate responsibly within their resources. The demand for extended hours of service has clearly proven itself to be highest during finals and our services are structured for it. We are always working to improve services to students, faculty and researchers, and welcome all suggestions.

Thank you for your interest in the libraries.

Bob Hudson Director Mugar Memorial Library