Hungry Like Themselves

Listen to We Are Wolves and you find yourself transformed into a rather indie adaptation of Little Red Riding Hood. You are lost within “the scene,” have grown tired of Conor Oberst’s wailing and the ubiquitous references to death by a slit throat or vandals who have made check marks on your bedpost.

Suddenly, by some death-disco meets electro-rock twist of fate, you are besieged by the Wolves. Their music conquers you with an aural flood of rapacious synthesizers and red-rover lyrics, shouted back and forth over errant beeps and chirps that make you want to break into experimental dance and your old school Nintendo games.

They are a Canadian fairy tale – “a trio, [ keyboardist Vincent Levesque, drummer Antonin Marquis and bassist Alexander Ortiz] of four, including rock” – bestowing the waking kiss in the form of their debut album, Non-Stop Je Te Plie En Deux. Translated as “Non-Stop I’ll Fold You In Half,” the title has meaning rooted dually in both wrestling and sex. This sordid introduction accurately portends the 10-track CD, whose songs such as “Snare Me” and “Moi, Rythme Magique” are infused with a hedonistic feel.

We Are Wolves score comparisons to bands running the gamut from Devo to the Locusts, or imagine an amalgamation of the Beastie Boys and The Faint, while still reverberating unique.

“I think [our] sound is definitely modeled around the idea of nature and wilderness,” Levesque explained. “The hiding that nature can provide you, stripping and soothing at the same time. Wild and beautiful.”