Quick Reviews

New Adventures in the Kornfields

At the end of a long transition phase, Korn arrives clean and slick with See You on the Other Side, their seventh release and first since guitarist Brian “Head” Welch departed from the band. This new sound, characterized by less thrashing and a hip-hop heavy rhythm section, works in small doses, like in lead single “Twisted Transistor.” Korn, once a pioneering force in metal, now sounds more as if they were aping off fellow metal-heads System of a Down on tracks such as “Love Song” and “Coming Undone.” Polishing their sound may have been a fine idea four years ago, but today, Korn only comes off as sadly mediocre.

– Tim Malcolm

Lindsay Lohan … Raw. Enough Said

Lindsay Lohan tells it like it is in her second full-length album, A Little More Personal (Raw), giving listeners a taste of the turmoil behind the scenes. In “Confessions of a Broken Heart (Daughter to Father)” and “My Innocence,” Lohan deals with her rocky relationship with her father, who is now behind bars for multiple crimes. Lohan also releases her angst toward ex-loves who sent her mixed messages on various tracks, including “A Little More Personal” and “If You Were Me.” Although her sound parallels pop-singer Kelly Clarkson, Lohan’s second album delivers a genuinely inspiring sound and vision.

– Lisa Hiton

Who Rules? Not this

Who Rules? is a pathetic attempt to cash in on the success of DVD party games such as Scene It?. With seven question categories that don’t differ much from each other, an obnoxious narration provided by Patrick Warburton (Joe from Family Guy) and a limited set of questions (questions were repeated within an hour of playing), this game should not be purchased for anyone this holiday season, unless you run out of coal.

– James Schneider and Eli Dresner

Snickers From the Poster Gallery

The International Poster Gallery, located at 205 Newbury St., sells vintage and modern posters from all over the world. Walking into the gallery is like walking into a private collector’s home. The walls have crown moldings that seem to perfectly frame all the posters that hang on them. Each poster is perfectly lit to bring out all of its brilliant colors. There are many posters that hang from floor to ceiling and range in subject from old French advertisements to The Beatles. Some might think that a poster gallery is not high-class art, but that is the furthest thing from the truth. Many of the posters are vintage, hand painted and can range in cost from $50 to $10,000. This is certainly not the place to come shopping to decorate your dorm, but definitely a good place to get a museum-like atmosphere for free.

– Lara Rubinstein