Staff Edit: The seasons for giving

The sweet sound, pleasing smell and delightful tastes of the holiday season are now upon us. Some of us Boston University students will return home to find neatly wrapped iBooks, iPods and other luxuries that begin with “i” tucked patiently underneath the “Holiday tree.” It is a time of joy and thanks that ends the year with love and friendship toward one another.

But it is also a time of giving, and of realizing the less fortunate among us. The letter “i” should not always be our main concern, and even the smallest amount of generosity toward others can make a simple difference in other people’s lives. It is disappointing that Massachusetts was recently ranked second-to-last among states’ generosity in the 2005 Catalogue of Philanthropy (though the amount Boston University gives to charity is ranked among the best).

Though the holiday season is what historically has attracted the largest amount of charitable donations from private citizens and organizations – except during times of crisis, such as Hurricane Katrina and the Asian tsunami – we should realize that people less fortunate than us don’t only need help just once or twice a year, but all year round.

Those who donate time or money to charity organizations during the holiday season do an excellent duty to their community, but it is not only during these times that we should think about others. There are a large number of charities that provide food, shelter, toys and medicine to the neediest, all of which can be found online in the government’s list of charitable organizations. This list provides an overview of how each organization operates and their effectiveness at making the most use of aid possible, and can be a vital tool in deciding which organization would make the most effective use of your donation.

Hopefully Massachusetts’s low ranking in the generosity index will prompt residents to contribute more year round, because this state still suffers from an undesirable amount of poverty, including inner-city Boston.

Whether it is helping cater food at one of the city’s homeless shelters or donating a few dollars to the Salvation Army, no form of charity is too little, or too much. Boston University’s active Community Service Center is always looking for new volunteers, and not just during the holiday season. So lend a helping hand, this season or the next.