The many guilty pleasures of Classic

Say you’re sitting alone in your dorm room with an inexplicable desire to see Bon Jovi’s poignant tale of a love that can never be, in “She Don’t Know Me.” Maybe it’s a retro performance of REO Speedwagon belting out “Time for Me to Fly” that you crave. Perhaps you seek to unravel the puzzle of cowboys, Indians, samurai, island natives, Napoleon and Quasimodo that is Van Halen’s cover of “Pretty Woman.” These feelings aren’t wrong (well, some of them are), and it’s for such moments that VH1 Classic was created.

An exciting offering on the BU cable platter, VH1 Classic is the channel that you flip by on your way from VH1 to Comedy Central, stopping for the occasional Bonnie Tyler oddity. Videos such as “Faster The Speed of Night” or “Holding Out For A Hero” are certainly attention-getting; they make one wonder what really went on in the ’80s, and why everyone loves them so much now.

The channel, which began in 2000, often plays truly talented artists, such as The Rolling Stones and Iggy Pop, and even videos with decent production, such as The Police’s “Roxanne.” It offers enjoyable programming such as “All Request Hour” and “Classic/Current,” featuring old and new videos from Prince, Billy Idol and other children of the comeback. Long live nostalgia!