Women’s soccer looks to extend stout defensive play tonight

The No. 24 Boston University women’s soccer team’s tough non-conference schedule continues tonight when the Terriers face St. Joseph’s University on Nickerson Field at 7 p.m.

The Terriers (2-1-1) are coming off a scoreless tie against Brown University Tuesday. The BU defense shut down a Brown offense which had scored nine goals in its first two games. With three shutouts in four games this season, 12th-year coach Nancy Feldman’s backs are playing at the top of their game.

“It’s a team thing,” Feldman said of the BU defense. “Certainly [goalkeeper] Stephanie [Dreyer] has done a fantastic job at coming up with big saves. She has had a wonderful start to the season. Erica Lee is really the rock in the back. Besides that it’s really been a team effort. They are all working very hard.

“We’ve gotten better tactically and that really is team credit,” Feldman added. “We’ve worked on defending first. We’ve tried shoring that up and the girls have done a great job. They’ve taken the coaching and applied it while being fierce competitors.”

The backstop of the Terrier defense is Dreyer, who has allowed just three goals-all to UMass-Amherst-in 383 minutes of action. She has 18 saves on the young season.

“[Dreyer] was a part time starter in the last few years,” Feldman said. “She’s the starter now in part because of an injury to Christina Rueter. But Steph has improved a ton because of sheer hard work and determination.”

Tonight the Terriers will take on a St. Joseph’s team that boasts a 2-2-0 record with a win over Wagner College (5-0) and a 4-3 overtime win over Lehigh University Tuesday. St. Joe’s is top-heavy with senior leadership. The Hawks leading scorer is senior Ali Wean-a transfer from Florida State University-who has three goals and two assists on just six shots this season. Seniors Megan Schutt and Nancy Cook have chipped in two goals apiece and junior goalie Jen Kuhn has both wins for the Hawks, allowing four goals in 370 minutes while stopping 15 shots.

The Terriers have notched four goals in four games. Junior forward Lauren Basham has two goals (both in a 2-0 win against Princeton), freshman Farrell McClernon-named America East Rookie of the Week Tuesday-had a tally in overtime against Boston College and freshman Emily Pallota had the only goal in a 3-1 loss to UMass. Senior Lauren Erwin leads the team in shots with nine and assists with three.

“Lauren Erwin is one of our biggest threats,” Feldman said. “She’ll get her share of goals. She’s a marked player for other teams because she’s the returning contributing player from previous years. I think teams know about her so focusing on her and stopping her is their main goal. Other kids have stepped up. Lauren will break out any time now. It’s more of about executing than personnel.

“We’ve been focused on our attack in training,” she continued. “That’s what we weren’t satisfied with on Tuesday night. We need some developing in that area, bringing the ball forward, brining numbers forward, possession and getting people in the right places.”

St. Joe’s has outscored its opponents, 9-5, this season but has been out shot 45-38. The Hawks also have allowed 18 corner kicks while earning only 10. BU has equaled its opponents in shots and has earned two more corner kicks.

Tonight’s bout is the first matchup between the two teams since 1996, with BU holding a 2-0 advantage in the overall series.

After playing Saturday’s game at Princeton University and Tuesday’s game against Brown in driving rain, BU can rest easy as the forecast for tonight calls for clear skies and 65 degree weather.

“That would be nice,” Feldman said. “Our last two games have been wet. I’m excited for a big night and I hope the student body will come out since it’s the first full weekend of the year. I think we’ll put on a good show, we love playing on our home field under lights in front of awesome fans. What better conditions for victory.”